The Autumn air

Days passed and so did the months, since Tom left to start his own adventure. it was now October 20th 1938, The oak tree that sat upon the hill not far away from the Orphanage has blossomed into a range of different shades of burgundy, falling carelessly around the small girl that was sprawled under it.

Looking up at the fascinating colours that decorated the tree, she hardly noticed the Brown barn owl that swooped down and landed beside her. pecking affectionately at her arm did she finally come back to reality. Looking at the owl she spotted a cream coloured envelope stamped with red wax.

opening the letter right away she knew exactly who it was from.

Rosie,

i hope your doing well, Hogwarts has really been breathtaking, everyone here is so friendly and the food is completely astonishing! it puts the Orphanage to shame really. speaking of how is everything on your end? i hope You'r not being pushed around by Billy or the other kids...i wish i could take you with me Rosie, honestly. It's not home without you.

So far i've made friend's with some boy's called Avery, Lestrange, Rosier and Nott. i'm sure you would love them, i've told them about you and so far they can't wait to meet you.

I won't be coming Home this Halloween, things have came up and it will take awhile to sort, but i promise you i'll be home for Christmas.

your's forever

T.M.R

x

Rose held the letter loosely in her hands, reading the last bit over and over again. he wont be home for halloween, she was yet again left alone with the monster's that haunted her... as tears slid down her cheek she couldn't help but think of how lonely she was, she had no one, she was what people called 'a lost soul'.

The wind ripped the letter out of her hands and carried it away from her, dancing and twirling as it floated away. the coming rain dampening it as if replicating the girls feelings. she was always left behind...

November 6th 1938

"Tom any new's on rose?" Lestrange questioned, setting his tea cup back down. he looked up at the boy infront of him with a grave expression. "She still hasn't replied back to you has she?" he added. Tom could only shake his head, he couldn't understand why Rose neglected to respond to him, it was out of character for her.

Snapping out of the train of thought, A brown barn owl dropped the Daily Prophet infront of him and a small light blue envelope tide to it with a green bow. looking closer he noticed something gleam in the dim sunlight.

'Rose Amery Highland'

it was her ribbon, the same ribbon that was tide around her bear.

"Ooo, fancy. is this from the mystery girl herself?" Nott joked, looking over Tom's shoulder. shrugging him off he pocketed her ribbon and opened the letter gently, letting one of the boys read the newspaper.

My dearest Tom

I am well, everything at the Orphanage is going fantastic. Mrs Cole say's that she will be helping me to find a job soon, since the rent of the place is going sky high due to the war. at night it get's frighting, the air raids scare me and the sound of the bombs are getting closer.

i'm worried if one of these days i'm not going to be lucky enough, then again i suppose my joke would come true on not being able to see you get old and wrinkly, you truly would be a miserable old bastard!

Im glad to hear that Hogwarts's is treating you well, something needs to put a smile on that face of your's it always looks sour! i'm surprised that you actually made friend's, nevertheless send my love to them.

Im devastated to hear you wont be joining me on Halloween, your also missing my Birthday too you arse!

But i shall hold you to your promise...and i demand an apology once you get your sorry arse here.

i don't know when this will reach you, but i send all of my best wishes and love to you.

p.s

I do miss you terribly, everything seems so empty without you here, i miss the laughs we used to share...I miss my home.

Your's always

R.A.H x

"My god they really did a number on that place didn't they" one of the boys commented, while flicking through the pages of the daily prophet. "I feel sorry for the poor kids" Another added, glancing up Tom only caught the head line of the front

ORPHANAGE BOMBED, LEFT TO DUST.

Quicker than lighting, Tom snatched the paper out of Avery's hand and scanned the page in great detail.

LAST NIGHT AROUND HALF TWELVE AN AIR RAID ROCKED LONDON TO THE CORE, LEAVING BUILDING'S IN RUBBLE AND HOUSE'S BURNED TO ASH. NOT FAR FROM THE CITY IT'S SELF IS A SMALL ORPHANAGE,EARLIER TODAY WAS FOUND IN PIECES, IT SEEMED A BOMB CRASHED DIRECTLY ON-TO THE TWO STORY BUILDING, LEAVING NO SURVIVORS...SINCE THERE ARE NO LOVED ONE'S TO MOURN THE COUNCIL HAS DECIDED THERE WILL NOT BE A FUNERAL.

Tom was sick, sick to his stomach. the only words that he was still reading was 'No Survivors'. Moments ago he was reading her letter saying that she can't wait to see him...saying that he missed her birthday, saying that she missed her home...

everything in that moment seemed too still for Tom, all he could see was her smile then the black dots that followed.

"Tom!"

and that was the last thing he heard when he went blacked out.

"Can i sleep in with you tonight?" questioned a young Tom.

That night the wind howled and the rain thrashed against the roof tiles, thunder boomed outside.

"Of course, Tom" came a soft voice, form where the bed laid.

Tom made his way over to the rustic iron bed, pushing back the covers and laying in beside Rose. sure he might've acted cold and rough, but at heart he was a sweetheart towards the girl and always seeked comfort when scared.

"scared?" the girl whispered, combining his jet black hair gently. only to get a nod in response. "It's okay, I'll be here to protect you"

As another boom shock the building he curled up by her side hiding away from the noises. he felt safe in her arms, he always did.

" when i'm older i'll protect you Rosie, just like you protect me..." he mumbled, sleep taking over him.

she only hummed in response, still combing his curly hair.

"you'll always be my night in shinning armour, but when i die and you cannot be that knight, you'll be my Angel, oftentimes you don't believe but one day you will see you are blessing in my eyes"

..............

"Rose....don't leave me...I'm scared "