In Exchange For Something Good

All drawings aside from the chapter image (image at the top) belong to me.

"Oh honey, look. The poor dear, probably a stray." A woman of average height and looks with bright red hair and watermelon pink eyes stopped in her tracks. Bending down to scratch at the chin of a small dirty white kitten. She gazed at her husband.

"How long do you think he's been out here Koboyashi? He doesn't seem to be scared of me." The aforementioned Koboyashi Kaminari bent down next to his wife.

"I'm not sure babe. It might have been a while, but if you want we could have a vet look him over and then try and adopt him." He suggested. He was a handsome man, a strong structure with watery blue eyes and jet black hair. His body was covered in freckles and there were two red hearts on his cheeks. His skin was almost a pale pink and his lips were undeniably red.

"Come here little one." The red-headed woman had reached for the kitten carefully but the small thing scampered away a few feet. The woman was upset at first but when she noticed the tiny kitten hadn't gone far she looked at her husband.

"Kobo, do you think he's leading us somewhere?" She asked her husband, looking up due to his height.

"I think we should take the chance and follow her," he referenced to the mud-covered fluff ball once more. "I'll go where you want to Arla, but something is telling me this is important.

The small white feline seemed to understand that they were young to follow her and so they trailed after her walking fast to keep up, Koboyashi leading Arla by the hand so she could go faster.

It only took around two minutes, it was in the opposite direction they had been heading in at first, a turn around a corner instead of just going straight. They reached an alleyway not long after and what they saw broke their hearts.

It was about 6 pm so school was out for the day, and there asleep on an old mattress was a small little boy with long golden blonde hair and a lightning bolt drooping down his curly waves.

The couple rushed forward, careful not to wake up the sleeping child, he was cut and bruised all over. Blood seeping through a spot on his shirt. Arla lifted up the child's shirt gingerly and gasped, before turning to Koboyashi with tears in her eyes.

"He needs to get to the hospital! And fast."

"I agree, but we should probably get him there soon. It looks like it's going to rain." Kobo looked up at the sky towards the heavy dark clouds rolling in.

Arla reached down slowly and picked up the small boy, resting his head on her chest and placing his little hands on his stomach, hooding he wouldn't stir too much or pick at the glass stuck in his palms.

She was shocked at how light he was, he appeared to be about 2 years old; with long wavy blonde hair draping down towards his stomach. The boy was thin and cold, his small jeans and t-shirt not doing much to keep him warm. The blonde snuggled into Arla's chest and she cooed.

Just then a few drops fell from the sky.

"There should be a hospital a few blocks from here, keep him close and we can make it if we go quickly. I just don't want him to wake up to fast.

"Why did I decide that we were going to walk to the diner?" She sighed to herself before she looked back at where the boy had laid and saw something.

"Well, for instance, we might not have seen the kitten, and without the kitten's help the poor boy could have either bled out or caught a fever" he paused and brushed a piece of blonde curls out of the child's face "long before someone else would find him. Everyone else is indoors by now."