Chapter 15 - Abused

It's been almost a year since Peeta and I started going out. Our one year anniversary is in one week.

Today I decided to surprise Peeta by going to the bakery early in the morning, so we can walk to school together.

I open the Mellark Bakery's door and the first thing I hear is a whimper.

"YOU USLESS PICE OF SHIT!!!! I TOLD YOU TO DRY THE DISHES!!! YOU ARE WORTHLESS CHILD, A MISTAKE!!!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GIRL !!!" I hear a woman scream and then another whimper that sounded like Peeta.

I don't hesitate to run into the bakery's kitchen to find the most horrible thing. Peeta is being hit by his own mother with a rolling pin.

"PEETA!!!" I scream and throw myself in front of him.

"WHO ARE YOU SLUT?!!!" His mom screams and rises her hand to hit me.

I close my eyes and wait for the blow but it never comes. I open my eyes and see that Peeta is holding the rolling pin away from his mother.

"You can hit me whatever you want but don't you ever dare touch Katniss!!! And she's not a slut so don't you call her that!!!" He yells and then takes my hand and we make a run for it. We keep running until we reach the meadow.

"How long?" I ask him.

"Since I was 3." He says.

"Why didn't you tell me? I'm your girlfriend and best friend. You can trust me with anything, you know that right?"

"Yeah, I know. I was just kind of embarrassed. I thought you would think less of me. I should've told you a long time ago."

"I'd never think less of you." I say.

"Come on we better get going. We don't wanna be late." He says.

"Let's just ditch for today and stay here in our place."

"Fine."

We lay down with my head on his chest and his arms around me.

"You should move out." I say after a long pause.

"Where to?" He asks.

"We could move in together to the house here in the meadow." I suggest.

"What would your parents say, though. I know mine wouldn't care less."

"I don't know. They've been having a lot of fights lately. I think my mom is cheating on my dad. I think they're going to divorce."

"That's sad."

"Yeah. But it is also a good reason to move out."

"Yeah. Are you sure about this?"

"Never been more sure of anything." I say.

"Then it's decided. We'll move in together to the house here at the meadow."

"I love you, Peeta."

"I love you too, Katniss."

"Stay with me?"

"Always."