Chapter 31 - Few Months Later

"Here is your baby boy, Mrs. Mellark." The midwife tells me as she hands me the newest addition to our family. Rye James Mellark. He looks so much like Peeta.

"Omg! He's identical to you, Peeta." I say as Rye opens his eyes.

"He's got your eyes, though." Peeta says. I smile.

Just then Finnick, Annie, Finn and Willow come through the door.

"Where is he?!" Willow asks excitedly. Peeta pick her up and brings her to bed with me.

"Willow, meet your brother, Rye." Peeta says as Willow looks at Rye.

"He's so tiny. How am I gonna play with him? He looks so fragile." She says.

"Well, you have to wait for him to grow a little more so you can play." I say.

"Wasn't he supposed to that in your tummy?" She asks.

"Yes, but he still has to grow more." Peeta explains.

"Was I ever that tiny?" Willow inquires curiously.

"Yes. When you were first born." I say and she just looks at him.

"Can I hold him?" She asks with puppy dog eyes.

"Ok." I say and Peeta and I position her so that I can help her hold the baby.

"Don't worry, baby, I will protect you." She says sweetly giving Rye a kiss on the forehead.

Later that night, the Odairs, take Willow with them since she's staying with them until we are discharged.

Peeta and I snuggle in bed, exhausted from all the visits.

There was my dad who was sooo happy to have his first grandson. Then there was James who was supper happy we named Rye after him. Then Mr. and the new Mrs. Mellark (aka Johanna's mom.) came and said that Rye looks just like Peeta did as a baby except for the eyes. Gale and Johanna came in with little Byron. Gale made a comment on how finally the boys were catching up to the girls in number. Glimmer and Marvel also stopped by with little Ruby and invited us to her first birthday party. Cato and Clove came with Sophie and simply congratulated us. Prim came with Rory, who she started dating a while back, and she was static. She ranted about being an aunt again and how happy she was for about an hour. What surprised me the most was that my mom came by. It was nice to see her....

*flashback to when her mom came*

"Well, I think that's everybody we know." Peeta says but then there's a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I say hesitatingly and my mom comes in. I immediately scowl.

"Hi." She says softly. We haven't spoken since I was pregnant with Willow and all she has to say is hi?!

"That's it? After all this time all you have to say is 'hi'?" I say angrily.

"Katniss..." Peeta says warningly.

"No! You can't do that! What do you want?" I say harshly ignoring Peeta's waning tone.

"I just wanted to apologize for everything that I've done. I want to be a part of your life Katniss and your children. It's just that... you were growing up so fast... and I panicked. I'm sorry. Would you let me back in your life." I am taken back with this but quickly decide to forgive her.

"I missed you mommy." I say in a small voice and she hugs me. I introduce her to Rye and tell her to come back tomorrow to meet Willow. She bids us goodbye and leaves.

*flashback over*

That night I fall asleep with a smile on my face. I'm finally fully happy.