Chapter 1

Colby's POV

"Hey, guys," I say to my roommates as I enter the living room, making my way over to the couch. "What are you guys watching?"

Sam looks over at me. "Key and Peele." Without hesitating, he lays down and puts his head on my lap. And I lock my arms around him.

Aaron and Jake look like they're about to fall asleep, and Corey is laughing hysterically at the Meegan and Andre movie theater skit. I laugh at the funny parts, but that doesn't change the fact that I've been feeling sad today.

Sam notices and looks up at me with his beautiful blue eyes. "Are you okay, Colby?" he asks.

"Yeah," I say, even though I'm not okay.

Sam sits up, and I turn my head to look at him. He uses his hand to wipe away the tear that's running down my cheek. "You never cry," he says.

"I feel like I'm not good enough for you," I say suddenly.

Sam's face changes from concerned to surprised. "What makes you say that?"

My eyes fill with more tears, threatening to fall. "We haven't been together for very long, but this is the happiest I've ever been. First you were with Kat, which made me jealous of the relationship between you two. Then, when you guys broke up, we finally kissed. But I saw you with that girl. I know now that you didn't do anything wrong. I just can't help but wonder if I'm good enough to be your boyfriend."

Aaron, Jake, and Corey are looking at us now. They already know about Sam and I and everything we've been through. They've always been supportive of us and our relationship. So I didn't mind that they were here with us.

"Colby, you're the only one I want to be with," Sam says, taking my hand. "Ever since we kissed, I knew we were meant to be together. We've known each other since freshman year of high school, and we have this connection we've never had with anyone else."

I search Sam's eyes for a lie. He appears to be telling the truth, but there is a part of me that's not convinced.

I stare at Sam. "What?"

"I love being with you, Colby. And I hate seeing you like this." Sam looks at me with those beautiful blue eyes. "I'm all yours."

"Do you really mean that?" I ask in a small voice.

"I mean it," Sam answers.

I lunge forward and engulf Sam in a tight hug. "Thank God," I mutter. "I don't want to lose you."

"I don't want to lose you either," Sam says, hugging me back.

We stay like this for a long time, then we pull away from each other. "Do you want to go someplace where we can talk in private?" Sam asks.

I nod. "I'd like it if we did."

Sam and I get off the couch and go upstairs to my room. We sit down on my bed, and I can feel tears coming to my eyes again. The silence is awkward. Then Sam breaks it.

"So, Colby. Why are you crying? I know we've been through a lot, but I've never seen you this upset."

I freeze. My eyes go wide, and I just look at him.

"Colby?" Sam asks.

"I-I...I don't know why," I whisper. My eyes are probably glossy, and I bring a hand up to hide my eyes.

"What do you mean?" Sam asks.

"I don't know why I've been crying. I guess I've waited so long for us to finally be together, and with everything that's happened, I'm scared of losing you."