Chapter 25

Colby's POV

The drive to the witch's house goes smoothly until we reach the foggy part of the road. The fog is so thick and vast, just like the last time we were here. And just like last time, I start to have a hard time seeing where I'm driving.

"This place hasn't changed a bit," I say.

"It looks the same as last time," Sam says, angling the camera so it captures the beautiful, but murky fog. "Holy crap. We literally can't see anything."

"I feel bad for Elton because he's right behind us, and he's never driven in this fog before," I say, doing my best to see through the fog.

"I know," Sam agrees.

"What are we going to do if we have to drive through this fog at night?" Corey asks. "We won't be able to see shit."

"Why would we be driving through here at night?" Sam asks. "We're supposed to be staying in the forest for the entire night."

"We might have to leave early because something scary could happen to us while we're there," Corey says, worry in his voice.

"Don't be scared, Corey. We have each other," I say reassuringly. I laugh, realizing how cheesy that just sounded.

"Yeah, Corey. Can't you see we're in heaven right now?" Jake says.

"I'm always in heaven with you guys," I say, keeping my eyes on the foggy road.

"Awww," the guys say.

Minutes later, I miss my turn because Jake said something that distracted me, which is weird because the same exact thing happened in the same exact spot the last time we were on this road.

"Okay. So I missed my turn because of Jake and...oh my God!" I get a firm grip on the wheel. "That was so weird, dude. I almost crashed."

"What?" Sam asks.

"Just like last time," I say.

The eerie sense of déjà vu makes me a little nervous. I don't know why, but I have a feeling that this trip is going to be more intense and scarier than the last time we were here.

"Pay attention to the road, pay attention to the road," Sam says.

"Okay. Could you tell me where to go, please?" I say.

"Yeah, it's coming up on the left," Sam says, pointing his finger in the direction of the turn.

"Where do I go, dude?"

The eerie wave of déjà vu hits me again as I remember where I'm supposed to go. The fog is becoming thicker, just like it always does in this spot on the road.

"Is it just me or you guys having déjà vu?" Corey asks, as though reading my mind.

"Dude, I thought Sam and I were the only ones," I say, driving through the fog.

Sam turns the camera to face all of us, his smile making me feel better about the uneasy feeling I have. "Guys, as you can clearly see, the fog is just as bad as it was the last time we were here."

"It seems worse," Jake chimes in.

"Oh my God, dude!" I say, almost losing control of the car, then gripping the steering wheel firmly once again.

"What?" Sam asks, sounding alarmed.

"I almost crashed again," I say.

"I have an idea," Jake says. "If we have someone else drive instead of Colby, we won't be in danger of getting into a car accident."

I laugh, not minding the fact that Jake brought up the term car accident. As much as I hate thinking about what had happened, I'm trying my best be positive and not let it control my life. Sam is still here with me, which is all that matters.

Minutes later, we pull up in front of the witch's house. As I turn the engine off, I realize that it's raining outside.

Just like last time.

But this time, the clouds seem darker, as though some ominous presence is here with us.

"It's raining, guys," I say.

"And it's dark, which are both signs that we need to leave," Corey says.

"I still can't believe anyone would live in the woods like this," Sam says, glancing back at the house, then at me.

"Well, dude, this is L.A. So if it's raining then..." Jake says.

"We're stuck here," Corey finishes.

I take the camera from Sam, holding it up with my left hand. Then I reach for Sam's hand with my other one. "Let's just do what we did before. Go in there, make it quick, and leave."

A car pulls up in front of us, coming to a stop. The headlights turn off, and seconds later, Elton and Aaron hop out of the car.

"Colby, can we kiss one more time, just in case we die?" Sam asks.

I laugh and lean in for a kiss. The moment Sam's lips touch mine, I want to drop the camera and take him into my arms. For a second, I forget where we are, and I feel like we're in a place that's happy and peaceful.

Knock, knock, knock.

Sam and I both jump and look at the driver's side window. "Solby moment," Elton says.

We all laugh. Then we hop out of the car and step out into the drizzling rain.

"So who is this woman again?" Elton asks.

"She's a friend of Jennifer's," I say. "She's a Wiccan, and she lives out here in the woods. So we should hurry up and get this done before she murders us."

Suddenly, I feel a hand pull me out of the way just as four guys come flying by on skateboards. "What the fuck are those guys doing?" I ask, laughing.

I look back at the person who pulled me out of harm's way.

Sam.

"Usually, I'm the one saving you," I say.

"One more kiss before we get killed?" Sam asks.

We kiss one more time. Then we start walking up the cobblestone driveway to the witch's house. We take our time because I think we can all sense that something about this place is going to be scarier than the last time we were here.

When we reach the front door, I look at my friends nervously. "Let's do this and get out of here." I ring the doorbell, and we wait for the door to open.

Hey, guys. The chapters might get longer, but I don't know yet. Make sure you pay attention to everything because it's going to get crazy as the story continues.