Chapter 19

Aaron's POV

As Elton drives us down the road, all I can think about is how Colby seems to be doing better. He ate breakfast earlier this morning, and he's been smiling and laughing a lot. It's almost as if he's slowly and gradually going back to being his usual self.

"Elton, what do you think about how Colby has been acting?" I ask.

"He seems to be doing better," Elton answers. "I think what happened last night was a big miscommunication. However, I didn't want to take the chance of him possibly doing something to hurt himself."

I nod in agreement. "I didn't want to take any chances either. It's better to be safe than not."

Elton nods. "Exactly."

"Did you see the look on Colby's face when we all got out of the car and found him the first time?" I ask.

Elton glances at me, then back at the road. "That's why I was concerned. I've never seen Colby that upset."

I think about what happened last night and the moments leading up to when we found Colby and brought him home. Initially, I thought his nightmare was the thing that triggered him having so many memories all at once. But as I've thought more about it, I think him feeling sad about not being good enough for Sam the past few days is what triggered it, and the nightmare was like the straw that broke the camel's back.

"We still have to keep an eye on him, though," Elton says. "Anything can happen, good or bad, and I don't want to take the risk of something happening to Colby, knowing we could've prevented it."

"I agree," I say. "Plus, we have the other guys. So if we need to do something, we will."