Chapter 34

Sam's POV

Colby and I have been on the road for what seems like forever, but in reality, it's only been thirty minutes. He looks over at me, his blue eyes glowing in the dark.

"Are you okay, Colby?" I ask.

Colby chuckles and looks back at the road. "Yeah. I'm okay. I'm just tired."

I'm instantly brought back to the moment we had back at the trap house, outside near the sliding glass door. Colby didn't look like the depressed, suicidal person he'd become, but the person who is my best friend. The same person I fell in love with.

And I can tell that he's that person now.

Colby lets out a sigh. "Sam, do you think I'm unstable?"

The question catches me off guard. "I think you can be," I answer hesitantly.

Colby gives me a sad look. "I'm sorry, Sam. I know I put you through a lot, but I appreciate you for being here with me."

He smiles in a way that reminds me of the person he really is. I've always felt safe with Colby, even when he was acting crazy and not like himself.

"Even if we weren't dating, you're still my best friend, Colby," I say.

Colby's eyes glisten, as though they might be filling with tears. But then he rubs his eyes and continues to drive straight down the road.

"We'll always be best friends," he says. "Now let's just keep driving until we get where we need to be."

It goes silent between us. But I know that's not a bad thing. As Colby drives, I close my eyes and rest my head on the window. Then, the sound of the car driving down the road fades slowly until I fall asleep.