Chapter 22

Jake's POV

As we stop at a red light on our way to McDonald's, Colby looks at Sam and stares at him very intently. They look into each other's eyes with that same passion and love they've always looked at each other with. The passion and love that we've all noticed, including the fans who watch our videos.

"Sam," Colby says. He pauses and gives Sam a look of recognition that I can't decipher. "Can you turn the camera off for a few seconds?"

Sam looks surprised by this, but he nods. "Sure." He turns the camera off and looks at Colby warily.

"I've been feeling very tired lately," Colby says.

"Physically tired?" Sam asks.

"Yeah and emotionally and mentally tired," Colby says. "The last few weeks have been very draining. I'm not going to hurt myself or starve myself. But I've been feeling sad."

"Why do you feel sad?" Sam asks.

"I've been thinking a lot about the stuff that's happened to all of us, and I know I've put you guys through a lot of shit. But I'm not trying to hurt you guys."

"We know you're not trying to hurt us, Colby," Corey says.

"Yeah, but I don't think you guys realize how much I don't want to be like this," Colby answers with pain in his voice.

"Be like what?" I ask.

"I feel so worn out," Colby says. "My depression and anxiety have taken such a toll on me that I attempted suicide and got put into a mental hospital. I feel like a freak."

"Colby, you're not a freak," Sam says, looking directly into Colby's eyes. "You've been through a lot, but that doesn't make you a freak. It makes you strong."

"Yeah, dude," I say. "You're one of the strongest people we know."

Colby smiles at all of us. It's genuine, which is something we haven't seen in a while. "You guys have no idea how grateful I am to have you guys as my friends. I know I haven't been the easiest person to be around, but I really do appreciate everything that you guys have done for me."

"We just want our Colby back," Corey says.

"I know," Colby says, nodding.

"We don't expect you to be perfect. We just want everything to be okay," I chime in.

Colby smiles again, but it's a sad smile. I'm not sure why he's sad, but I think it might have something to do with everything that's happened over the course of the past few months. Whatever it is, it's making Colby feel terrible. He's pretending that he's fine, but we all know he's not.