Chapter 8

Sam's POV

As I stand in the living room with the other guys, I see a shadow move quickly alongside the wall. Then I hear a door slam.

"Fuck, you guys. Colby heard us," I say.

Without hesitation, I run to the front door, and everyone else trails behind me. I turn to run down the street, and I see a black shape disappear around the corner.

And I already know who it is.

"Colby!" I call out.

We're all running as fast as we can, calling out his name. Then, in a matter of seconds, I see Colby a few feet away from me. He's bent over with his face in his hands, his voice choking on sobs.

"Colby" I say, stepping toward him.

He stands up straight and puts his hand up. "Don't," he says, looking directly at me.

I'm not surprised at his reaction. He's done this before, but it's getting ridiculous and too much to deal with.

Elton steps forward. "We should all go back to the house." He looks at Colby, indicating that he's included in that statement as well.

And so we head back to the house, not saying a word the entire time. Aaron closes the door and locks it. Colby stares at me, his beautiful blue eyes following me everywhere I go.

What happens next catches me completely off guard, and I don't realize it until it's too late. One by one, the guys go upstairs to their rooms.

And I'm left alone with Colby.