VII

One week later

The pre-season tournament and training camp taking place in Southern Spain in the big city of Malaga started this morning, when the whole team took the train toward the sea. This week had been quite intense so far in terms of training, both football-wise and physical-wise, but yet we had hard the opportunity to get to know each other better.

That way, and after being pushed to exhaustion, I spend quality time with some of my teammates I hadn't quite talked to, such as Sandra Paños, the starting goalkeeper, who seemed to be very serious and uptight but ended up being funny as hell. I also got to know Jana better: the Spanish girl was a very fiery person with a very good energy and always some jokes or dance moves up her sleeve. And, of course, Asisat Oshoala's good mood was too present not to impact my own. 

For the first time in weeks, I finally felt like I had some friends here in Barcelona, apart from my roommates and my future sister-in-law.

When we got to the hotel - an impressive 30-floors tower (which doesn't happen often in small cities such as Malaga) - and were on our way to the dining room, I soon realize I forgot my glasses up in my room and ran straight back at the elevators. As the doors were closing in, I manage to hold them open a little while longer, getting inside. 

Only one other person was standing in the elevator: Alexia Putellas. Of course, just like in every bad soap movie, I think to myself, rolling my eyes. Obviously, she wasn't too thrilled to see me, so we just politely greeted each other and remained in utter silence. 

What were the odds for the elevator to literally stop at the 17th floor, with the lights going off in a security mode? Fucking hell, I let out, willing to murder someone right now, as I intend to press all the buttons. Alexia, on the other hand, just sits down on the floor, staring right in front of her. I then grab my phone, although I knew pretty damn well there isn't service in elevators. 

On my nerves, I turn toward Alexia and ask:

"What the hell are you doing?" 

Shrugging, the brunette says in a calm tone:

"It's not gonna start again in the next 30 minutes, and this only if we're lucky. Last time, I was stuck for two hours."

Sighing in exasperation, I just say out loud:

"Great. This is just fucking great." Alexia lets a small laughter out of her throat, as I turn toward her, truly getting annoyed this time, asking: "Why are you laughing right now?" 

"Because you're just so damn dramatic" she shamelessly says, the smile remaining on her lips. 

My eyes go wide in shock. 

"Dramatic? Excuse me if being stuck in a literal giant box with no windows and barely any security doesn't reassure me! Last time I was stuck in one of those was twenty years ago, and it was awful."

"Ah, childhood trauma" Alexia only comments, visibly amused. 

How can she laugh at something like that with someone she barely met? I ask myself, confused, before adding: 

"You said you were stuck for two hours?"

"Yes, on my own, so it was less dramatic" Alexia says, smirking, before regaining seriousness and adding: "Can you please sit down? I feel like you're on the verge of fainting and I'm not really good with unconscious people."

Throwing her a deadly look - still knowing she was right - I end up sitting down against the wall opposite to the one Alexia was leaning against. She watches me do so, quite amused - dramatic my ass - while I just set my jaw, annoyed.

After a long moment of silence, Alexia ends up declaring:

"You know, Mewis, elevators aren't designed to just randomly fall off. We're gonna be just fine - you just gotta be patient."

Setting my jaw, I only say as a response:

"Well, excuse-me if being stuck in an elevator with you wasn't on my to-do list for today."

Scoffing, the Spanish goes on explaining:

"You know, when I was in high school, I wasn't really popular. Like, I had my group of friends, that was constituted in two dudes and one girl. We were seen as the outsiders: like, my life was already filled with football, and I was missing a lot of classes and also chances to talk to other students. And I remember there was this girl in crafts who wouldn't stop messing with me, calling me all sorts of bad names, insulting me even. Funny thing is that I never even talked to that girl, and she just decided to mess with me 'cause I was different."

Frowning, I inquire:

"Do you want me to understand the metaphor between that bully and me?" 

Alexia frowns.

"Yes. But I also feel like you've gone through stuff like that. Am I wrong?" 

"No, you're not" I reluctantly say. 

She has a content movement, before setting her jaw and continuing:

"You know where that girl is today?" 

"No?"

"Still in the small village, but working 30+ hours a week at a shitty supermarket while she wanted to become a dancer. She still hates me now, 'cause I represent everything she failed to become."

Smirking, I interrupt her to say:

"Oh, because your path is one to follow! Excuse me, your majesty, I didn't realize we-"

"That is not what I meant" Alexia harshly interrupts me in turn, before turning toward me, crossing her arms against her chest. "What I mean is: we all have our demons, and we're all fighting invisible fights - like, this girl was forced to stay in our hometown to take care of her sick mother, while I was free to just get away from there. It's all a matter of perspective, and your views will change on people."

"I don't get it."

"All I'm saying is: maybe if you look further than your first impressions and people's looks, you might be surprised by what you discover."

"Meaning: I have to give you a chance by getting to know you?" I ask, confused. 

Nodding her head, Alexia says:

"Look, why don't you start by telling me something about your family? And then, I'll tell you something about mine. At least it'll pass the time, right? And then, once we get out of here, you're free not to talk to me again outside of work if you want. Deal?" 

Without really knowing why, I just answer:

"Deal."

The elevator started functioning one hour later, as Alexia and I already had time to discuss what it was like growing up in our hometowns, but also what it meant having big sisters and brothers, living up to people's expectation, struggling with injuries, with the national team, and so on, and so on...

And I almost did not see time passing: maybe she's not so bad after all... was my final reflexion on that, before we join the rest of our teammates.

____________________________

Author's note:

Good evening to all. 

I just wanted to ask you what you thought of the story in order to comprehend whether I should 1) continue it or not and 2) change anything or something. Please give me your opinions (all are welcome) so I can write the best possible story for you guys. 

Thank you for the support.

Your devoted author.