XXXI

One week later

Nervously stepping out of my car, with the huge badge of Barcelona on display on the training center's walls, I just take a deep breath. 

After a defeat against England as our final friendly game during the international break, club action was about to resume, with important Liga and Champion's League games ahead of us - but none of those were my biggest source of stress. 

The first face I see is Lucy's, as the British woman is walking toward me, giving me a warm hug and immediately saying:

"So, are you gonna tell me why Alexia Putellas came to see you before you left for camp?"

Slightly blushing - damn it - I just play pretend:

"To say hi, I guess?"

"Then why didn't she come to 'say hi' to Ana, Frido and I, uh? And why did she stay only 2 seconds top?" 

Rolling my eyes, I just shake my head and concede:

"Kristie told you, is that it?" 

Lucy nods, smirking. 

"Of course she did - it's Kristie. But what concerns me is that you didn't tell me."

"I've been in denial - looks like it's one of my hidden talents I've been developing over the years" I sarcastically let out, setting my jaw. 

Lucy nods again, thoughtful. 

"You know" she then starts, tapping my shoulder, "when your sister came to Manchester, I was scared to death because I knew I was gonna fall for her. But when I did, turns out it's a pretty nice experience. So, how does Alexia feel about this?" 

"To be honest, I have no idea" I declare, frowning. 

I then go on quickly explaining to Lucy what happened before I left for camp : when I kissed her out of nowhere ; when we avoided each other for weeks ; when I left without really saying goodbye and then regretted it ; how she came in Sacramento just to see me ; how I confronted her and she ended up kissing me ; how I ran away right after... Lucy's eyes went wide the whole time, as she seemed genuinely shocked.

In a smirk, she says:

"I'll be damned: I thought Putellas was unreachable."

"She is, don't worry about that" I let out, somber. As Lucy throws me a confused look, I go on explaining: "I guess being La Reina doesn't only have bright sides to it."

As we enter the meeting room, we immediately almost bump into Alexia. 

My heart does summersaults, as she stares at me with her wide hazel eyes, as if she didn't expect to see me so soon - or maybe she didn't expect that I'd had any effect on her? As we lock eyes, I see Lucy staring at us in turn, half-amused, half-uneasy. A tensed silence settles in, before the captain breaks it by saying:

"Oh - hi guys."

"Hey" Lucy immediately answers, while I do the same but in a mutter.

As Alexia's eyes just stare at Lucy for a split second, it's like the brunette realizes where she is, before excusing herself and making her way through us, exiting the room without even flashing a look at me. 

Sighing, I just whisper:

"She hates me."

"From the looks of it, I'd actually think otherwise" Lucy lets out, setting her jaw. Smirking, she then adds, more for herself than for me: "I mean, now I wonder how I missed it: she's kind of into you, Mew!"