XXII

The news dropped that same afternoon, under my eyes on the local Catalan newspaper: BARCELONA FEMENI DA LA BIENVENIDA A LA CENTRAL CAMPEONA DEL MUDO Y DE LA NWSL, ABBY DAHLKEMPER, PARA REFORZAR UNA DEFENSA QUE SE CONVERTIRA EN LA MAS FORMIDABLE DEL MUNDO. And no need to say that no translation was necessary for me to understand that my situation would become a lot more complicated.

A few minutes later, as I was still in shock, my phone rings, and when I see the name on the screen, I immediately respond:

"Sam on the phone?"

"Samantha, hi, it's Vlatko. How are you?"

I immediately feel my throat get tighter.

"Oh, um, hi" I stammer, panicked. "I'm, um, yeah - good, you?"

"Fine. You must know why I am calling you?"

"Um... not really...?"

I can hear the UWSNT's head coach laugh on the other side of the phone, visibly amused, before he says:

"You and your sister are the same, and have the same reactions - it's kinda scary sometimes. You're back on the roaster, Samantha! If you want to, of course."

My eyes go wide with excitement.

"Oh my God, YES !" I exclaim, unable to contain my excitement.

Once again, Vlatko laughs on the other end of the phone.

"I am looking forward to seeing the Mewis sisters back together on the field. Report next week, Tuesday, at noon."

"Yes, coach. Than-"

But he already hung up before I could finish my sentence. I smirk, thinking about how unchanged the coach is, as he always has been quite a busy one. After undergoing a happy dance for ten minutes, going in each room of the apartment, annoying my roommates who eventually joined the dance, I fall into the couch with Lucy, who seems quite happy for me - even more than I was.

After a while, once the whole news had calmed down, the Brit finally says:

"I needed to talk to you about something."

"Sure?"

"Wedding-related."

"If you're getting cold feet, I'll throw you from that window" I immediately warn her, pointing at the opened window in front of us.

Smirking, she only says:

"No, it's not that. It's just... I think I finally found the right ring. Wanna see it?"

As I nod my head, Lucy reaches for her pocket and takes an elegant small black box out of it, before taking a deep breath and opening it.

My eyes go wide, as I am absolutely mesmerized by how beautiful the emerald rock actually looked

My eyes go wide, as I am absolutely mesmerized by how beautiful the emerald rock actually looked. Also, being a sucker for details, I immediately remark the series of number engraved in the inside of the ring.