VIII

"... and Barcelona are back on track ! Strong pre-season demonstration with the 6-0 win over English side Aston Villa for their first friendly game ahead of the 2022-2023 season for this Barça side, who see the return of their captain after the terrible injury she underwent during the Euros this summer. Ballon d'Or holder and contender, as well as UEFA European player of the year has returned, scoring three goals inside the first half. Impressive, even for 'La Reina'. The other three goals were scored by Fridolina Rolfö and Caroline Graham Hansen, while debutants Lucy Bronze and Samantha Mewis played their first minutes for the club. Good insights then, ahead of Friday's friendly game against Louisville FC, Mewis' former team in the NWSL." 

Quite frustrated, I exit the team's bus first, quickly walking toward the room I was sharing with Caroline. 

To be honest, only playing 10 minutes with a new team shouldn't be an issue to newly arrived players like me. But to me, it seemed like a big deal: how was I going to play more minutes by only demonstrating what I could do during 10 minutes ? I tried to give it my whole but I don't know if it was enough. And I was sure of one thing: I wouldn't be in the starting XI before quite some time...

Setting my jaw, I quickly read congratulatory texts received from my sister, Pat, old teammates, and so on, suddenly feeling pretty sick. When Caroline comes back to our room, I pretend to be needing to take a call and exit, getting to the balcony. 

On my way there, I come across some of my teammates: Aitana and Ona, as well as Jana, who look at me funny. 

"¿Todo bien, Mewis? Parece que has estado en la lavadora." Ona lets out, smirking. 

Frowning, I just wait for Aitana to kindly translate:

"She says you look like you've been inside a washing machine or something. You okay?" 

"Yeah, yeah... Just a little disappointed about the game" I honestly declare, knowing that they were reading right through my looks. 

Jana nods, emphatic. 

"It was your first game, Mewis" she says, serious, "you can't expect to meet your expectations or the goals you assigned yourself with in one game. You gotta adjust, like everybody else."

"Exactamente" Ona says, before switching to English: "Let me put it that way: we have less left-back than we do have midfielders, yet Lucy - Euro-winner Lucy - has played the exact same amount of time as you did."

I nod my head, trying to look convinced.

"You're right."

"Por supuesto" Ona lets out, smirking. 

After throwing her a dark glare - I assume Ona said something cocky such as 'of course I'm right' - Aitana ends up saying:

"Some of the girls are getting out to have tapas. Wanna join?" 

Knowing that it would maybe get me out of my own head, I nod my head, content, following the three Spanish women. 

Nevertheless, inside my mind was going on a battlefield, and the other army was my own brain...

***

We joined Sandra, Ana-Maria, Marta, Ingrid and Mapi, who were already at the tapas restaurant - a cute little place downtown Malaga, not far from our hotel - who welcomed us with big smiles and excitement. I was surprised that they even clapped when I entered and gave me a brief hug, as well as to Lucy, who joined us, before we all sat down.