Chapter 4. Bracelets

Amara

"So, how long have you played baseball?" I ask, chewing on the straw of my water.

Asher looks up, his brows knitted together in thought. "Since I was seven, so fifteen years?" He says, looking back down at me.

"That's a looong time." I say, the wheels in my head spinning a little.

"Yeah." He let's out a low, deep chuckle. Sending a shiver down my spine.

"Where'd ya get all the jewelry?" I ask, nodding to his wrists.

He spans out his fingers on his right hand, showing off the ring on his finger like an engagement ring, and I chuckle as he wiggles his eyebrows. "Got engaged. Look at this rock." He says, making his voice go up a couple of octaves. I giggle, throwing my head back slightly. "No, this was my dad's. He gave it to me when I was little. Pretty sure I tried it on everyday until the day it fit. I haven't taken it off since."

"That's adorable." I say, switching to my half empty beer bottle.

"I try real hard." Asher says sarcastically before he grins, looking down at his right wrist. "So, Annie made this one." He points to the bracelet that's been braided in some way with strings multiple shades of blue. "Aspen has a matching one with this one." He points to the black skinny bracelet with some silver charm on it. "Adelaide got this one for me for my birthday when I was...  thirteen, I think." He points to a faded blue bracelet with a silver piece on it that has a baseball carved into it. And lastly, he points to a red rubber bracelet with white words on it, "This is for one of my friends from elementary school. He uh.. He committed suicide when we were twelve."

The words read #BrodyStrong

"I'm sorry," I say, my hand landing on his forearm.

"Thanks. It was hard. I still don't understand what could make a twelve-year-old do such a thing. Hell, even think such a thing." He says, messing with the string on the bracelet that Annie made.

"Yeah... I don't know." I say sympathetically. I pull my hand away after realizing it was still there.

Asher sits up, leaning his elbows on the counter again. "Okay, how do you say: "Lincoln is an asshole." in Spanish?" He asks and I chuckle, looking over at his friends.

"Lincoln es un ojete." I say and he leans slightly forward.

"Say it slower. I can't understand you when you say it so damn fast." He says and I chuckle.

I softly laugh, messing with my earring as I repeat it, slower.

"Oh, I think I did know that actually." He says, taking a sip of his beer.

My eyes flicker to his lips around the bottle before I catch myself. He smirks around the bottle before pulling it away from his mouth. "My eyes are up here, Amara." He quips.

I roll my eyes before an arm being thrown on my shoulder grabs my attention. "Asher." I turn my head to see a guy with dirty blonde hair that I assume is Lincoln. He turns his head to, a cocky grin on his face. "Sexy lady whom I do not know." He winks and I purse my lips together.

"What do you want, fucker?" Asher asks, a look of irritation flashing across his face.

"I've been sent over here, by three people. Two of which I know. One of which knows you." He looks at me and my brows furrow. "To retrieve you guys."