Chapter 36

Amara

"Swing batter batter swing.."

I look to the side, "Remi, shut up. You've been doing that for five minutes."

"Sorry.", a sheepish smile appears on her face.

"Since you're clearly bored, wanna tell me what's going on with you and Lincoln?"

Remington's eyebrows raise in surprise, "What?"

"Did I stutter?"

Remington shakes her head back and forth several times, "Nothing is going on. I have a boyfriend."

I exhale a sigh, "Just because you haven't acted on certain feelings, doesn't mean you don't have them."

"I don't have feelings for Lincoln. I don't know what you're talking about."

"Bullshit."

Remington sits up straighter, "I'm not lying. We're just friends, if that."

I huff, leaning forward, "You don't look at someone like if they're just your friend, Rem."

"I didn't know I was sitting next to Tate McRae."

I give her a pointed look, "Ha-ha. Don't try to change the subject."

I rest my elbows on my knees, looking out at the field, "It's not just you. He looks at you the same way you look at him."

"We almost kissed.", Remington says and my brows shoot up to my hairline.

"What? When? How could you not tell me?", I look back at her. Shock written all over my face.

She looks down, "It's happened a couple of times..."

"Rem.."

"One of us has stopped it before it actually happened so, I didn't cheat but, I almost have..", a heavy sigh mixed with a groan escapes her lips, "I don't know what to do."

"Well.. Who do you want to be with? Landon... or Lincoln?", I look back at the field to see Lincoln dancing in the outfield.

Remington and I chuckle at the scene before Remi leans back, resting her elbow on the armrest, "I think... I think I want L-"

"Hey babe.", Landon cuts her off and I internally groan.

Fuck you Landon. She was about to tell me!

"Hey!"

I focus back in on the game, ignoring the couple beside me.

"Hey Mara. I haven't seen you much since before Spring Break.", Landon says and I nod in response, too focused on what was happening out in the field.

Clayton Hendrix, #42, is running towards the fence, his mitt in the air as the ball goes flying.

"Amar-"

"Shh.", I put my hand out, holding my breath as the ball gets closer, and closer, and closer, until... He catches it.

Three outs. LSU is up to bat. Actually, Asher is.

We we're in the last inning and we had kept going back and forth with leadership. The Tigers needed the win, seeing as though that would get them to Regionals.

I clasp my hands together in anticipation. A couple of minutes go by before Asher steps up to home plate.

A hand comes down on my bouncing leg and I immediately pull my hand away, "Was just helping you out.", Landon mumbles.

"Please don't touch her.. You guys aren't that close..", Remi says, sensing my uncomfortableness.

"We were... Till Asher came along.", He mumbles the last part but I heard it. I heard it very clearly but, I chose to ignore it.