Chapter 12

Amara

"So, they started dating a month or two ago." I say and Asher sits up more. "The first time I met him, I got an off vibe from him."

"Glad I'm not the only one." He says, grabbing a handful of popcorn out of the large plastic bowl.

"What happened when you met him?" I ask, tossing a piece of buttery popcorn in my mouth.

"Nothing really happened. He asked if we were hanging out. And then when I asked how he knew Remington, he quickly answered and went straight back to you and I." He says, his shoulder's tensing.

"Then I asked him why he cared and he played it off like it was because you guys were friends too. I don't know, I thought I was just reading into things but his answers almost seemed rehearsed in a way." He says with a sigh.

"I've noticed that too. He's just always way too friendly with me. Like, in a way a guy shouldn't be with his girlfriends best friend who he barely knows." I say and he nods.

"I don't like him. I have a gut feeling about him."

"Yeah.. Me too. I've tried to tell Remi but she just thinks I'm overreacting." I say and Asher's brows furrow.

"That's kind of shitty."

"A little but, I've tried to push past it and give him a chance. He hasn't done anything yet so I'm playing it by ear." I say and he nods.

"Just, be careful." He says and I nod.

"I know." I say before a phone starts ringing.

I pick mine up to see it's my sister in-law, Giannini FaceTiming me.

"You can get that." Asher says, turning the TV volume down.

"Are you sure?" I ask and he nods.

I hit the green button before Giannini appears on the screen and I can hear my niece, Valentina, yelling in the background.

"Valentina! Put your clothes on !", she yells and I laugh, "Lo siento, Amara."

"You're fine." I say and she groans.

"This child. My word." The camera moves as I hear Valentina's little voice. "No, Valentina. You cannot run around naked."

Asher and I chuckle.

"Is there a boy with you?" She asks and I bite back a smile.

"Maybe..."

She gasps, "Is is the Asher guy Valeria was telling me about?" She asks and my eyes widen.

"Giannini, ¡Cállate!" I yell and she cackles.

Asher laughs and I throw a piece of popcorn at him. "You little fucker." I say and he laughs harder.

"Let me see him!" Giannini exclaims.

"No!" I yell and Asher snatches my phone out of my head. "Hey!"

I reach for it and he pushes me back, "You motherfucker!"

"Hi." He says, a cheeky grin on his face.

"Hi!" Giannini yells through the phone. "Valeria was right, you are cute!"

My eyes widen even more, "Giannini! Stop!"

"Amara! I'm helping you out here."

"How?" I ask, leaning into Asher to be visible on the screen.

"I just am." She says before she bends down and Valentina appears on the screen with only a pajama shirt on and a pull-up diaper.

"Hi, Mara!" Valentina says with some gibberish thrown in.