Chapter 35

Asher

"Glad y'all came. We've missed y'all the last couple times." Levi yells over the music.

"Yeah. Me too." I reply, taking a sip of my Natty Light.

"Hey.", Amara's hand lands on my shoulder, "Can we go?"

I sit up straighter, "Is something wrong?"

"I don't want to talk about here."

I nod, standing up, "We'll see you guys later."

We bid our good nights before walking out and heading to my place.

"What's wrong, Mar?"

"Nothing..", Amara mumbles.

I frown, "Something happened in that bathroom, and I want to know. Why won't you tell me? Especially after last night."

I watch as Amara runs her fingers through her hair, "It's Natalie."

My jaw immediately clenches, "Of course it is."

"She's trying to blackmail me.. Or, I guess she already is."

"What?!"

"There's a picture... From back when I was in high school. It was the one and only time I ever smoked weed-"

"Hold on,", I cut her off, "You. Amara Taylor, got high?"

"Just once!", she defends and I laugh, "Are you mad?"

"No. I've done it once.", I confess with a shrug of my shoulders.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, my senior year. We'd just one State Champs. Never did it again."

"It's disgusting.", Amara grimaces and I nod in agreement.

"Anyways. Remington and I had done it in her car so her room didn't smell. We didn't drive I swear, we stayed in the driveway the whole time. But, there's a picture of me smoking the joint while a bottle of Tito's sits in my lap and my hand is on the steering wheel."

"So it looks like you're driving."

"Exactly."

I shrug my shoulder, "I believe you."

"That's not all. Natalie said if I didn't break up with you so she could "take back what's her's"- or whatever- she'd send it to your whole family.", Amara looks down at her lap.

I move my hand from her thigh to her hand, giving it a squeeze, "They can't stand Natalie. She's got nothing on you. Not power. Not looks. Not a bond with my family. Not our relationship. Not our trust. Got it?"

Amara nods, looking over at me, "What if it gets out to the public? Could it ruin your baseball career?"

"No. Celebrities get high all the time and nobody does anything besides, Marijuana is legal in California. I'm not worried about it. I'll talk to my dad just to cover the bases though."