Chapter 8

Amara

"What's with the fortune on the fridge?" Asher asks, leaning against the counter.

"Did you read it?" I ask and he shakes his head.

I turn around, slipping the small piece of paper out of the magnet. "Here," I say, handing it to him.

I see his eyes slightly moving as he reads it before a smile breaks out on his face and he laughs. "In bed, huh?"

"Yeah, I don't remember exactly when it started. Sometime when I was in high school though, my brother said to add "in bed" at the end and so we all did. I've passed the tradition down to Remi, and now you." I grin, sliding the piece of paper back under the magnet on the fridge.

"That's amazing. Why didn't you wait earlier?"

"Didn't know if it was too soon for sex jokes," I say, shrugging my shoulders.

"Oh thank God. I almost made like twelve in just the past hour. But, I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

I chuckle, "No, you're fine. I make sex jokes all the time." I say and he grins.

"Good." He says and a look passes between us.

A noise comes from Remington's room and my eyes widen. "Oh good God."

Asher's brows furrow, "Was that..."

"Yup. We're leaving now." I say, frantically looking around for a pair of shoes.

Asher chuckles, grabbing his phone from the counter.

I slip on a pair of Nike sneakers that are Remi's and grab my phone and keys.

"Speaking of sex," Asher says, nodding his head towards the hallway.

"I do not want to think about that right now," I say and he smiles.

We step outside, the warm Louisiana evening weather meeting my face.

It was nearing midnight but I wasn't even tired.

"You don't have to stay you know. It's getting late, you can go home whenever." I say and he nods.

"You trying to get rid of me?"

"Still debating it."

"Good to know," Asher says as we walk on the sidewalk.

"Why are you walking so fast?" I whine.

Asher looks back at me, a sweet smile spreading across his lips. "Sorry. Can't help it."

And he wasn't wrong. Being 6'0, he just took longer strides, which meant he walked faster. Now, me being 5'3, I did not walk as fast.

"Let's go munchkin." He says and I stop in my tracks.

"Well, it's been decided. I'm getting rid of ya." I say and Asher completely turns around.

He laughs, throwing his head back as his shoulders shook, and I have to stop myself from smiling like an idiot.

"Sorry." He says, his bottom lip between his teeth as he smiles.