Chapter 7. Scary Movies

Asher

"You never open the door dumbass!" Amara yells at the TV screen.

"You really like scary movies, huh?" I ask and she grins.

We were now on our second scary movie, and waiting for our cookies to be delivered.

"You have no idea." She says, grabbing the last fortune cookie. "Can I?"

"Go for it," I say, chuckling.

"Do you like scary movies? We can watch something else." She offers.

"No, I don't mind. My mom is obsessed with Halloween. So obviously, I am too."

"Thank God." She says, throwing her head back onto the couch. "Remington hates all things scary."

I chuckle, scratching the side of my neck. "We can fix that. I'll just have to make a call back home first," I say and Amara lets out a small giggle.

"Maybe we can just tie her to the couch and force her to watch all scary movies until she's not scared of them anymore."

It takes everything in me not to make a sexual joke about the tying-up part. I slightly clear my throat, "Sounds like a plan."

"I don't know what I like better. Halloween, or Día De Los Muertos." She says, a look of contemplation on her face.

"I think they're both cool. Plus, they're back to back with each other." I say and she nods.

"True. Remind me again why weren't we friends sooner."

I chuckle. "We didn't know each other, remember?"

"Oh, yeah."

"So, you said your dad is from Louisiana, right?"

"Well, kind of." She says and my brows furrow.

"Care to specify." I sit up a little, propping my foot on the ottoman in front of me.

"He's actually from England..."

"What? Your dad is British?" I ask, sitting up.

"Yeah. His family moved here when he was a baby so technically he's lived here almost his whole life."

"Does he have an accent?" I ask and she chuckles.

"Oh, yes." She laughs. "And my brothers and I very much like to make fun of it."

I chuckle. "I like people with accents. They're cool... For the most part."

"What's that mean?"

"So like, Levi, he's from Thibodaux, Louisiana. So, he's got that thick, bayou southern accent. My sister's ex-boyfriend had a bit of one too. They drop certain letters and it's weird."

She nods her head in response. "Theodore, right?"

"Yeah..." I scratch the back of my head awkwardly. 

"Whatever happened with them? They were cute."

"They both went pro. There's a very strong possibility that they could never play on the same team or in the same city ever again." I say and her mouth tilts down into a frown.