Chapter 5. Middle

Asher

"I think I'm gonna lose my mind if Dad shows up at my place in the morning again." Aspen huffs out.

"He's just making sure you're okay, Sis." I lightly chuckle, locking my door.

"I know. I'd just like to sleep in, for once." She groans. "I will admit. I did miss Mom's baking, a lot."

"I miss it too. I'd kill for some pumpkin bread right now." I say, pushing the door to the apartment building open.

"That sounds fucking amazing right now. Fall needs to get here ASAP."

"I know. I'm ready for summer though." I say, pressing the unlock button on my key fob.

"Mamá, lo sé. No tienes que preocuparte." I hear a familiar voice echo towards me. "¿Qué día quieres que vuelva a casa?" Amara asks, holding her phone to her ear. "Sí Mamá." She says, fumbling through her bag.

"I gotta go Sis, I'll call you later." I cut Aspen off.

"Oh, okay. Bye." She responds and I hang up.

Amara looks over at me, a small smile spreading across her face. "¿Ha vuelto Jesús de Disney?" She wiggles her fingers in a wave. "Haré FaceTime Alondora más tarde." She says, pulling her keys out of her purse.

I lean against the front of my truck, listening to her talk.

"I have to go, Mamá. I'm gonna be late." Amara says. "Yo también te amo." She says, pulling her phone away from her ear. "Eavesdropping are we now?" She asks, walking over to me.

Her dark brown hair was pulled up into a ponytail, but pieces fell out and framed her face, only highlighting her facial features even more.

"It's hard to eavesdrop when I can't understand what you're saying." I say and she chuckles.

"True." She stops in front of me, "Where are you headed?"

"Baseball." I say and she nods. "You?"

"Coffee." She grins.

"Mind if I join?" I ask, flipping my keys around on my finger.

"You're buying." She says, turning around on her heel. "It's the Starbucks by the-"

"Baseball field?" I ask and she nods.

"They have the better cake pops." She grins, opening her car door. "And you're buying me two of 'em."

We both get in our cars and head that way.

"You're a Junior, right?" I ask once we're at the campus cafe and she nods.

"Yeah, I have a late birthday though. So, I'm on the older side of our grade."

"Me too. When's your birthday?"

"September 1st." She says and I grin.

"August 30th."

"No shit." She gasps, taking a sip of her Vanilla Bean Frappuccino. "That's funny."

"So, are you from Louisiana, or?"

"No, I'm from Mississippi." She answers, running a finger through her hair.

"Oh, cool. What part?"

"Biloxi."

"I think I've been there." I say, thinking. "Do you guys have a Go-Kart track that's huge and you have to wear a helmet, and like sign a waver?"