Chapter 6. Black, Like My Soul

Amara

"Auntie Amara!" The sound of my niece's adorable voice came through the speaker of my phone.

"Hola, Alondra!" I say, a grin covering my face.

"I met Pocahontas! And Cinderella! And Ariel!" She yells excitedly.

"I know! I'm so jealous!" I say, shutting my car off.

I open the door, reaching over and grabbing my purse.

At the same time that I shut my door, a familiar white truck pulls into a parking spot and I can't stop the grin from spreading across my face.

"And, we ate in Belle's castle!"

"What? That is so cool!"

"Yeah. And the rose was there!"

"No way!" I say as Asher steps out of his truck.

"Papi wants to say hi." She says, not being able to hold the phone still.

"Okay," I say, stepping up onto the sidewalk, but as my foot goes down, I miss the curb.

I close my eyes, expecting to hit the ground but it never happens. Instead, I feel two arms wrap around me and pull me up the curb.

"My word, woman. You can't even step onto the curb." The familiar, deep voice speaks up.

I smile sheepishly, feeling my cheeks heat up. "Thanks."

"Amara!" My brother, Jesús's voice catches my attention.

"Sí? Lo siento," I say, holding the phone up to see his face. "You look like shit," I say and his eyes narrow.

"I need a vacation from my vacation." He says and I chuckle.

"Look at all those grey hairs. You might look older than Abuelito before the baby arrives."

"Listen here you little shit." He says and I grin. "Are you with someone?"

"Oh, yeah. This is my friend Asher. He just saved my ass from meeting the concrete."

"More like your face," Asher says and I shove the camera in his face. "Hey." He says, a small smile on his lips.

"Clumsy little thing, that one," Jesús says and I turn the phone back towards me.

"Hijo de puta," I say and his mouth gapes open.

"Amara Mariana Taylor! You kiss your mother with that mouth?" He scolds with a grin on his face.

"Our mother." I correct.

"God Bless her." He says and I laugh.

"Papi, let me talk to her!" I hear Alondra say.

"Here Mija." He hands the phone to her as she climbs onto his lap.

"I'll let you go," Asher whispers, turning on his heel.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" I yell and he looks back at me with a grin.

"Mijita, tell Amara about your favorite ride." Alondra's face lights up.

"There were little girls that looked like me!" She says and I can't help the grin that spreads across my face.

"There were?!" I ask, stepping into my apartment.

"Sí! They were singing in Spanish too!"

"That's awesome, Chiquita!" I say, scanning the fridge for a drink.