Chapter 30

Amara

"So, the question is. What's going to happen tonight?" I rhetorically ask as we slide out of the car.

"What do you mean?"

"It's a family gathering. With two different families. There's bound to be drama." I say and he nods.

"Then throw in the fact that parents on both sides are separated and for the most part all remarried."

"Sounds like fun. Maybe there will be a fight." Asher says, lacing his fingers with mine.

"I hope not. I don't want to deal with any more crying from Adelina than I have to." I say as he grins over at me.

"Still nervous?" I ask.

"Pissing my pants right now."

I stifle a laugh, "When I was little I used to call my mom "Miss Pissy Pants" when she'd make me mad, apparently."

He laughs, "That's hilarious."

"I'm quite the comedian."

"So I've noticed." He says, opening the glass doors.

"Okay, I know I keep asking you if you're nervous but, I think I'm the nervous one." I say, stopping in the entry way of the venue.

"Why are you nervous? You're making me more nervous."

"It's not you, I promise. It's just, I've never really brought a guy home, let alone to Spain for a wedding."

"Mara, thank God you're here. You have to help me keep your Mamá away from your brothers father." Valeria says, waking out of the bathroom with Josefina wrapped against her chest.

"Hah?" I ask, my eyes widening.

"Let's just say, Enrique is being his usual self."

"Oh, great. Just what we need."

"Don't even get me started. He tried to give Alondra alcohol." She says and my mouth gapes open.

"He what?!"

"Asher, lovely to see you again. Uh, good luck." She says and Asher chuckles nervously.

"Come on. We got this. Todo va a salir bien. La familia te va a querer." I say as I wrap my hand around his bicep.

"Uh huh." Asher says, opening the other set of doors.

My ears are met by the sound of lively chatter and soft music.

"Who do you want to meet first?" I ask, scanning the room for any one of my close family members.

"I say, we get the parents over with first."

"Good plan." I say, continuing to scan the room. "Found 'em."

I pull his arm in the direction of where my parents are standing, talking to my Tío Manuel.

"Do you need a prep talk?" I ask, looking up at him.