Chapter 13 : Distancing

The dance was coming to an end but Abhimanyu had already stopped swaying. Somehow, during dancing, both his hands had found their way to her waist and hers, around his neck. The way she was looking at him was making him lose his control.

And that's what scared him.

All his life, he had been in control of everything he did. He was never the one to do irrational, unplanned, spontaneous things. His mind and heart were always in sync with him. But now, after meeting her, everything was getting out of his hands. His mind just won't listen and his heart has created a mind of it's own.

‘No! This has to stop!’ - he thought to himself as the dance ended and everyone clapped.

“Thank you ladies and gentlemen, for the wonderful past couple of days and such a lovely evening. In hopes of seeing each other next year, it's a farewell.” - said the host of the evening and everybody started to leave. Still looking intently at her,

He took a step back.

He didn't know what was happening to him but he wanted his control back.

Another step back...

He needed to stop all this otherwise he'd go insane.

And another step back.

He knew what he needed to do for his sanity. He needed to distance himself from Akshara Goenka.

Looking at her one last time, he turned around and left the hall.

~

Everyone was gathered in the lobby the next morning, all set to leave for Mumbai, and Akshara was standing there in a dilemma, at a distance from others.

‘I have to ride the chopper again.’ - she thought to herself in a state of half panic and half nervousness. ‘But he'll be there with me. So I'll be fine.” - she thought and an instant blush took over her face.

‘But where is he ?!’ - she frowned. She had not seen him after the dance last evening. Neither had anyone else. She was just thinking that when :

“Ms. Goenka!” - she turned around to see Marcus standing there.

“Abhimanyu Sir had asked me to inform you that, hence you're afraid of flights, you'll accompany your colleagues on the way back.” - he informed her.

“But aren't they all going by air too ?” - she asked him.

“No ma'am. They'd asked Abhimanyu Sir to allow them to go by road just this once and he allowed.” - he politely but professionally informed her.

Oh. She didn't know if she felt happy that Abhimanyu thought about her well being or disheartened that she won't be able to spend some more time with him.

“Thank you.” - she said with a forced smile.

Bowing his head a little, which Akshara found odd, he took his leave and was about to go when she suddenly asked :

“Marcus! Where's he ? I mean, Abhimanyu Sir ?”

“He left for Mumbai ma'am. An hour ago.” - saying this he went away.

And Akshara stood their. Rooted to her spot. He left ? Without meeting, without informing. Without even saying a goodbye ?

“Akshara! Coming with us or not ?” - shouted Martha from afar. In a daze, with her steps feeling heavy, she made her way towards her colleagues. They all got seated in the cars and left for Mumbai.

They all reached Mumbai the next evening, stopping time to time for meals and fun. In which Akshara had barely participated. Throughout the journey, her mind was stuck on these past 2 days and the insane events that took place in between. And Abhimanyu leaving without even a single bye, had left her restless.