Chapter 41 : A Taste Of Their Own Medicine

“Akshu... you're being this choosey as if it's your wedding day.” - exclaimed Arohi, shaking her head at her elder sister who was standing infront of the mirror, in a dilemma of what to wear.

“It's just a dinner with his family Akshuuu...” - Arohi said in a sing-song voice.

Akshara turned her attention towards her younger sister, an agitated expression on her face.

“Who said I'm being choosey because of the dinner with his family. I want to look pretty for him.” - she said and turned towards the mirror again.

It was Friday and Abhi had once again, reminded her in the office that she was invited over the family feast and he would pick her up from her house at 7. And considering, it was 6:30 PM, she had only 30 minutes.

Finally deciding on a purple floor length gown with conservative neckline and medium length sleeves, she tied her straight hair in an effortless ponytail. She wore the bar locket Abhi gave her and wearing her engagement ring, looked at herself in the mirror.

“Are you nervous?” - Aru asked, coming from behind, hugging her.

“No, why would I be nervous ?” - she answered truthfully.

She was not nervous. Not in the slightest. Infact, she was dying to meet that ‘family’ of his, who had made his childhood so miserable. Without even meeting them, Akshara hated them with passion. What would happen when she'd meet them, she didn't know. But the thing she was sure of...

It's time of tit for tat.

The sound of car horn broke her chain of thoughts and she looked at the time.

7:00 PM.

“Your unrealistically handsome fiance is quite punctual of time. Isn't he ?” - Aru teased and ran away laughing, when she tried to hit her head, her “All the best!” echoing all the way.

After Abhi had left meeting her family that day, she had informed everyone that he had proposed her and she had said yes, showing them all her engagement ring. To which, everyone were quite surprised at first but had been very understanding, specially Bade Papa, who's only response to this news was “Thank God! One function less to plan!” making everyone laugh.

Quickly grabbing her phone and looking at herself one last time in the mirror, she headed downstairs.

“Akshu... you look beautiful.” - Badi Mumma said, warding off bad sight from her.

“Thank you Badi Mumma. Okay I'm going now, he's waiting outside.” - giving Badi Mumma a quick kiss on the cheek, she headed outside.

Coming out, she saw him leaning against the car, his arms crossed, wearing a beige colour suit, the hair fringes coming to his forehead in the blowing wind and wearing the watch she gifted him.

‘He really is unrealistically handsome... God please have mercy on me!’ - she mentally pleaded as her heart went out of control by just looking at him.

He straightened up when he saw her coming, greeting her with a soft kiss.

“Gosh Akshara! Have mercy on my heart...” - he whispered after pulling apart, making her blush.

Looking into his eyes, she realized that for the first time, he didn't look tensed about attending the family feast. There was a calmness in his demeanor, a soft smile not leaving his face and her heart soared at the sight. That's what she wanted. His mind, his heart at peace. Happy. And anyone who tried to snatch that smile away, they would have to go through her before.

Bringing her hand up, she softly pulled the fallen fringes aside from his forehead, and asked :

“Shall we Mr. Birla ?”