Chapter 13 - Replay

Arthur's POV:

My shortsword blurred as I instinctively parried the projectiles aimed towards Samantha, the sharp ring of metal echoing through the dim corridor.
.

"Th-Thank you..." Samantha muttered mindlessly.

"Something's wrong...there were no traps last time." Brald picked up one of the pointed spikes to study it but was baffled.

"I don't think they were traps but strategically placed mana beasts, which doesn't make the situation better," I said.

The next cave was similar to the previous cave, but twice the size and littered with holes all over the ground.

"Don't get near the holes. They're geysers that shoot extremely hot streams of gas up. It should be fine as long as you're not in direct proximity of the blast," Brald announced as we all looked for any signs of mana beasts.

As if on cue, the cave trembled, shaking the sharp stalactites overhead to a nerve-wracking degree. I finally get to see the large ass worm.

"Was that here last time, Brald?" the pot-bellied Kriol asked in a worrying tone.

"It doesn't seem to be after us," muttered Elijah while his sharp, bespectacled eyes studied the hole the giant worm had left.

The red worm-beast was now burrowing itself into the walls of the cave, creating more holes from all different angles.

"Are we just going to stand around watching the worm dig or are we going to go?" Oliver, our lanky emitter, shoved Brald out of the way, fearlessly taking the lead as he strode towards the other end of the cave.

'hmm.. i'm not in the mood to save him'

"Get back here! We need to assess what's happening before we go across!" Brald barked. As our leader stepped forward to go after him, a thundering rumble shook as the entire cavern fizzed with the sound of a boiling kettle.

"Lucas! Heatwave Barrier, now!" I roared at the confused traitor.

Just as i yelled out the command, fumes began filling the cavern.

The holes that were here since the beginning and the holes littered across the ground, roof, and walls made by the giant worm all trembled before releasing a fiery torrent of deadly gas.

"Shit!" Brald cursed, Samantha stumbled backward from the ghastly sight.

"Let's move out!" I ordered as everyone remained silent.

.

After all of the obstacles, we finally managed to reach the entrance to the boss's layer.

The place that was once destroyed by my fight with the Elderwood Guardian appeared lively once again with trees sprouting.

'here we go again with this shit..' i thought, not in the mood to play along with the original timeline.

"Everyone, stay focused" i ordered.

"Are you sure?" Brald asked but kept his guards up.

"Yeah of course i'm sure"

.

As i expected, the mist started to spread towards us in a slow motion. However, it's not the same, it seems different somehow, as if it was more darker than before.

"Pay attention, i already said to keep your guards up idiots" i mocked

"Tch! Quite complain-" Luca's voice was cut off as I launched my quick attack, trying to get the dungeon boss to reveal himself.