𝟞. | 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕤𝕤𝕒𝕔𝕣𝕖

𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕤𝕤𝕒𝕔𝕣𝕖
𝕖𝕡𝕚𝕤𝕠𝕕𝕖 𝟛. - 𝕕𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕙 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕔𝕙
◇─────────────────◇

The chapel was filled with Morois and Dhampirs alike. Everyone was sitting and murmuring about the attack that had happened last night.

As the high priestess and the queen entered the building everyone stood up as a sign of respect. Once seated the priestess stood in front of them, informing and giving them a speech about what happened.

"The massacre at St. Jude's was unthinkable. All were taken too young. All will be mourned. As is customary, tomorrow, we will celebrate the traditional Death Watch for the fallen."

The room was silent, her voice being the only thing that could be heard.

"We also mourn the loss of the Dhampir Guardians slain while doing their duty protecting our Moroi brothers and sisters."

A long pause followed, a look of awkwardness flashed on the high priestess's face as she looked back at the queen. After receiving a small nod she turned back to the waiting vampires. No one knew what was coming but as soon as she started the whole atmosphere turned from mournful to uncomfortable.

"The Moroi... and the Dhampir have a special relationship. Without Moroi, no Dhampir child... Can be born. Without Dhampirs, no Moroi life can be safe. No Moroi man must hesitate to do his sacred duty for the greater good."

What she meant to say was, there are not enough Dhampirs to protect them so now they should fuck more. It was hypocritical. Normally a relationship between a Dhampir and a Moroi was looked down on or even forbidden, but at times it was suitable for the royals it was suddenly okay.

When Delilah turned around the room, looking at all the vampires that had gathered, she made eye contact with Dimitri. A soft smile appeared on his face. Her own smile made its way to her face.

After the speech was done, everyone stood up again reciting in old Moroi.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The school was buzzing with students because it was the middle of the night which for them meant their day was halfway done.

Rose was walking in between Lissa and Delilah, an annoyed look on her face.

"I mean, we get it. She's a badass. But it's very performative. And why is she here anyway?" Rose's mom showed up at the academy after the attack and it made her daughter very angry, clearly.

"Is it to see if I'm okay or scared after the other school got attacked? No, she's here to show us all how smart she is."

Rose's aversion towards her mother was well known and it made Delilah sympathize with her. She also didn't like her mother very much, for what appeared to be the same reason as Rose.

Both of their mothers have been absent when they were growing up. For one of them to show up only because of some orders and not for their daughter, Delilah could imagine how her friend was feeling.

"Okay, let's not let her get you distracted from research mode. We need you out of my head," Lissa said after they turned around a corner, walking into another courtyard.

"And I need her out of mine."

"I need to tell you guys something," Delilah suddenly spoke, nervous about this moment but they needed to know. Her walking came to a halt.

They both looked at her, stopping as she did while putting her hands behind her back to hide how she was fidgeting with them.

"The night of Lissa's specialisation ceremony when you were freaking out and Rose saw you...I saw Rose too, I think it was through you," her hands had started to hurt from how hard she was squeezing and twisting them.