35.

As I sat down in Louisa's office I sighed. Why is it I ended up here most days? "You want to tell me the truth about Marco" she said as she picked up a torch and shone it in my eyes. "I said what I needed to upstairs" I reiterated as she nodded. "And yet unlike my father I see straight through the facade. You know I speak with Marco. I can ask him if you'd prefer" she smirked as i recoiled from the light. "There's nothing to tell. I dropped Alessia off, sorted her out with Gio and then ran into Marco. Luca knows all this" I said as she nodded. "And he knows you fucked Marco too" she said eyeing me. "I didn't" I stammered the lie. "He's asked me to keep an eye on you Sofia. I know you slept together." She said looking sad. "Why would he say that" I protested. "Because he's worried about you. He said you seemed slightly withdrawn yesterday." She sighed as I gulped. "You we're at the club" I found myself saying. "I'm always at the club Sofia. I have a contract with them to provide healthcare for the dancers" she explained. "Marcos a regular customer. He likes to know the health of the women he's going to fuck" she said honestly as I nodded. "Did you tell him my health" I queried. It's not like she wouldn't have known. "No. You're not a hooker Sofia. He does care for you, I believe that. He just shouldn't. You were never destined to be a di Rossi" she sighed as I nodded. "Nor to carry one. Please tell me you used protection" she asked as I gulped. Had we? "Yeah" I said somewhat convincingly. "I can give you a pill if you're not sure" she said reaching into a cupboard and handing me a pill packet. "We're safe" I said with a gulp. Marco hadn't used a condom the first time, but I remebered seeing one on the side this time. Surely he'd used it. I certainly didn't want a baby Marco right now, yet I couldn't bring myself to take the tablet. "You need to be more careful Sofia. Your toying such a fine line that I fear you're going to get yourself killed." She said sadly as I nodded. "Why are you helping me" I found myself asking. "Marco asked me to. Begged me in fact. Like I say, he cares about you. I just wish for your sake it wasn't the case. Having a di Rossi falling for you, isn't ideal when your sworn to the Marchetti" she explained glumly. Almost knowingly. "Now I suggest you go and get changed. Dinner is in an hour. And make sure you drink something. That pill can make you dehydrated" she said as I nodded before thanking her and leaving.

I followed her advice and picked up a bottle of water from the kitchen en route to my room. If the pill made you dehydrated I was screwed, I already felt parched from all the crying I'd done this afternoon. After gulping the water, I showered and got changed. I felt somewhat refreshed by the water, but it had washed away all my make up from the morning, and the slight red stain of blood from my nails. It had also left the slight brown discolouration of a bruise on my face. Alessia's foot was clearly more damaging than I expected.
After readying myself for dinner, I glanced at my watch. I still had 20 minutes before it would be served and so I lay down on my bed and looked up at the ceiling deep in thought.

I thought about what Louisa had said about Marco. I thought about how Marco clearly trusted her. Clearly trusted the other women. I thought about how disappointed I was that it wouldn't be me again. Then I thought about what it would feel like if I did ever get the chance. And what about it with Luca? "Hey" his soft voice said as he gently touched my arm. Opening my eyes I realised I'd been asleep. "You didn't come down for dinner" he said softly as he looked over me "I was just having a quick lay down" I said springing up. "Fuck, I wasn't planning on napping" I said as I pushed my hand through my hair. Lorenzo had specifically asked us to be there. And I'd not shown up. "I know, Louisa said you looked tired though. Dad just sent me up to check on you" he said gently as I gulped. "Im ok. Shall we go eat" I said as I walked towards the door, not knowing how to act around him now. Running as far away from him as possible seemed like the logical solution. His hand reached out and grabbed my arm, halting me and then turning me back to face him. "Don't run away from me" he said sadly as I sighed again. "I know I fucked up" he added as I looked at him confused. "You were upset, and I chose to ignore it." He sighed. "Roberto and Antonio tried to tell me but" he said frustratedly. "But" I questioned now confused. "Ro was convinced you were in on it" he said as I nodded in understanding. "You believed him" I found myself saying sourly as he nodded. "I shouldn't have, I should've trusted you" he said apologetically. "It's ok" I said shaking my head, even though I had to admit it stung. "I haven't exactly given you a reason to trust me" I said as I pulled my arm from his grasp, still feeling disgusted with myself. "Sofia" he said as he tried to catch up with me. "No Luca. Enough." I pleaded with him. I didn't need to know how he didn't trust me, or how he thought I'd throw him under the bus. It wasn't a reflection on him, but on me. And frankly it only made me feel worse. "Sofia please" he said as I began taking the stairs two at a time. "I'm going to get dinner. We can talk later" I said as I continued the descent quickly. I didn't want to talk anymore. I wanted to be alone, how I always should be. I wasn't worthy of Luca. I had slept with his nemesis. I wasn't worthy of Marco. I'd never be a Di Rossi. "No, we can talk now" he said catching up with me. "I don't want too Luca. I don't want to know how much your cousin hates me. Or how much you think I conspire against you or your family. I genuinely woke up happy this morning with you. To me that was genuine. But for you clearly it meant nothing. You clearly don't think I have the capacity" I said as I screamed at him, my finger colliding with his chest as feet rushed up behind me. In seconds I went from standing in-front of Luca, to being pushed away from him and feeling my feet rush from under me as I tumbled backwards, head first down the marble stair case.
My eyes catching an infuriated Romero before i forced them shut, preparing to make contact with the hard floor, only to feel my body change direction, an arm wrapping round my body before we collided with the floor. I felt us collide, as the air exited my lungs with a hmph. My saviour groaning as I opened my eyes. Antonio lay beneath me nursing his head as I lay safe on top of him. "What the hell did you do that for" I said looking at him sharply. "You could've killed yourself" I shouted at him as I slapped his chest. "Better that than you going head first into the marble." He said as he hauled me off him. "You ok" he added as Luca ran beside us. "Sofia, are you ok" he rushed. "I'm good. It's not me you need to worry about" I said turning back to Antonio. "You're meant to take it east after being shot. Not go diving at falling women" I said annoyed yet humoured. "Some people are worth saving" he smirked as I rolled my eyes. "Antonio, please go and see Louisa. I dread to think what state your body will be in by the close of play today" he ordered. "I suppose that depends on whether your cousin wants to try sending any more women tumbling to their death" he said almost jovially as he looked at Romero. "It was an accident" Romero said firmly. "Sure" Antonio nodded before saluting in my direction and then leaving.
"You sure you feel ok" Luca asked from besides me, his attention on my body. "Yeah, just hungry" I explained as he nodded. Without wanting to hear any more Apologies or feel Romeros scrutinising gaze on me any longer, I walked straight into the dining room, where most people had empty yet dirty plates.

"Oh good, you're here" Mary smiled at me, I hadn't seen her in what felt like forever, and so I took the vacant seat besides her as Luca walked over to his father, a seat beside him also vacant.
"Lenny tells me you tried to take Marco on singlehanded" she beamed at me almost proudly. "Kind of. Sort of backfired" I said as she piled my plate with potatoes. "I'm just glad you're realising your worth more than that" she said with a soft smile. "I don't ever want you to be taken advantage of Sofia. I promised your mum I'd look after you and I'm pretty sure this was the exact scenario she wanted you to avoid" she frowned. "You don't need to worry Mary. I can take care of myself." I said as I lifted the first potato to my lips. "I always worry Sofia. You've been stuck between the two families ever since you were born" she sighed sadly as I felt others look over to our conversation. "And yet I've remained in this one for most of my life" I said as I munched on more potato. I glanced up to look at Luca to find him moving food around his plate absently, whilst his cousin who was now sat besides him stared at me angrily. What was his problem. "And May it continue" Mary beamed. "You know what, I don't feel too good I'm going to go and rest" I said to her warmly as she frowned. "Do you want me to call Louisa" she asked concerned as I stood up. "No, I'm good. I'll call her if I need her" I said before shifting uncomfortably under romero's gaze and practically running out of the room.

It was clear he didn't like me, and his presence alone made me feel uncomfortable. In Lorenzo's office he'd wanted to conspire against me. In the hallway he'd nearly killed me. Retreating to my room felt like the only safe option, despite my grumbling stomach. As I stepped in the room I felt my pulse relax. I took some deep breaths trying to regain composure. Today had tested me, I'd been kicked in the face, had glass smashed besides me, been thrown down the stairs, ignored, summoned, neglected. It was hardly a good day.

A knock at the door startled me. "Come in" I said slightly shakily. I didn't know who it was, but most likely it was one of the maids. "You left dinner quickly" Romeros voice said sincerely as he stepped in. "I wasn't feeling too grand" I said from across the room. "Apologies, I didn't mean to send you flying. As Lucas right hand man, I have to ensure his safety" he said firmly as I nodded. "I would hardly say I'm a threat to his safety" I said humoured. "That's where we differ" he said not returning the light hearted tone. His voice was firm and cold. "You could ruin everything for him Sofia. And I can almost put money on the fact you will" he said sourly. "So you've come to warn me away" I said cheesed off. "No, I've come here to show you what will happen if you don't stay away" he smirked as he clicked the door locked. "I'd like you to leave" I said nervously as he began walking over to me. "That won't be happening Sofia." He smirked. "This might be your room, but it's my playground" he sneered as he walked ever closer. My heart pounding as my breathing sped up. This wasn't happening. Not here.