12.

"I need to go and think. It was nice to see you again Sofia" he said firmly as he stood up. "Thank you for having me" I said honestly as he nodded in response before walking out. The door remaining open as he exited, before another was shut firmly in the distance.
"Are we really standing for this" Louisa spat clearly outraged. "She just said she wouldn't be loyal, and we're all just going to be ok with it" she fumed as she looked at her family in shock. "I never said I wouldn't be loyal Louisa. I merely said I wouldn't prioritise one family over the other." I said clearly as she slammed her hand on the table. "That's the same fucking thing" she spat. "I would disagree. However, in order to prevent more trouble I'm going to go. I don't mean to disrespect any of you, and I appreciate the hospitality" I said softly as I stood to leave.
No one followed me as I left, but I heard a chorus of curse words and an argument between the family as I made my way towards the door. I clearly hadn't been thinking when Mary suggested she could drive me over here as I now had no way home. Hopefully a taxi would be parked near the bottom of the road again.

"Sofia" I heard him call out as I made my way across the driveway. I found myself slowing, intrigued as to what he would say. "You should be with your family" I said turning to face him as he stopped in-front of me. "As should you" he said softly, sadly. "I think everyone's been quite clear that that can't happen" I said honestly as he nodded. "You handled my dad so well" he said amusedly. "I was just honest. I really don't want to be caught in the middle of this war. I don't want to be pulled onto either side." I explained as he nodded. "Will anything change your mind" he asked hopefully. "I can't loose Alessia for Mary and Len or vice Versa Luca. It would be like me telling you to choose between your father and sister. It's an impossible decision" I sighed as he nodded. "What about me" he asked as I gulped. "I won't put you in an impossible position either Luca" I said honestly as he nodded disappointedly. "It would be selfish of me" I continued.
"Maybe I want you to be selfish" he urged as he stepped closer. "Maybe I want you to put me in that position" he said huskily. "One where you have to choose me or your family" I said with raised brows. "One where I couldn't possibly choose" he said honestly. "Where I couldn't bare to loose you or my name" he added. "It doesn't sound like a very favourable position" I whispered as I looked at his warm eyes. "Too you perhaps. But I can't get you out of my mind Sofia. Your beauty, your defiance." He rasped as I gulped. "It's like a poison, and I've drunk the bottle" he said as his hand rested on my hip, as he positioned me against his chest. My face looking up at him. His looking admirably down on me.
"I don't want to come between you and family" I stammered as he nodded, nuzzling his nose against mine. "Become family then" he urged as I twisted my head away from him.
Is that what this was. A last ditch attempt to get me on side. Glancing at the house, I could see Lorenzo stood at the window smirking. I was being played. Evidently, Luca was more of a conniving arsehole than I had given him credit for.

"You know I won't do that" I said firmly as I stepped back. "Goodbye Luca" I said as I turned away from him. His hand not giving up as he grasped mine, halting my movements. "Please Sofia. Think about it" he urged. "I have. I won't give her up for anyone. Not even the most handsome Marchetti" I said with a small smile as he reciprocated and let my hand fall back to my side. "You're too good for this world Sofia Russo" he said with a nod as I smiled and journeyed over to the gates.

Typically there was no taxi waiting for me at the bottom of the road and so, enjoying the cool air I began to walk slowly. I wouldn't walk the whole way, but I wanted to just enjoy the evening. Sure it hadn't turned out as expected, or maybe it had. But I didn't want to rush home where I would inevitably be watched. Out here, walking aimlessly home, I was free. I wasn't burdened by either family. I was my own woman.

As I rounded into the next road I heard a commotion on the opposite side of the street, glancing across to the deserted shop, I saw a group of men all stood with guns aimed at one another. Stopping in my tracks, I ducked behind a wall before anyone could see me. I didn't need to be caught up in anymore drama. Suddenly shots rang out and I crouched to the floor attempting to shield myself. Within seconds cars started and tyres screeched. Suddenly lights raged around the corner and down the opposite street. Hopefully I hadn't been seen.

Poking my head around the street I saw two men lying by the shop. Both unmoving and no one else in sight. I should've run away or called the police but instead I found myself running over to them. The first was in a pool of blood, a hole through his skull. The second looked at me, confused as I placed my hands on his chest. "Why are you helping me" he asked, his accent thick. "I have no idea. Who do you need me to call" I asked as he looked at me more confused. "An ambulance?" I stammered as I pulled my jacket from my shoulders and wrapped it up before squashing it onto the oozing wound in his abdomen. "No" he said. "In my phone." He said as he reached for his pocket. "I'll get it" I said as I pulled an iPhone from his pocket. "Call Giovanni" he said as I held the centre button to command Siri for him.
It seemed to ring for a lifetime. "Teo" his accent rang out as I clicked speaker. "Gio, I need evac. I'm at the shop. Jr is down. I got some chick stopping me from bleeding out" he rasped looking at me as I gave him a soft smile. "I'll be 5" he said before the phone went dead. "Fuck" Teo rasped in pain. "Your name is Teo" I said trying to find something to talk about. "Mhm. Matteo" he said as he shut his eyes in pain momentarily. "You"he urged as I gulped. "Sofia." I replied as he nodded. "You're a fucking Angel Sofia" he chuckled as I shook my head. "Far from it, which is a good job really. You could be the devil" I said as I looked at the gun he still had clutched in his hand. "Sorry" he said letting his grip falter on it. "It's ok, don't let go, just incase they come back" I found myself saying as he nodded. "You seem to know far to much about how this works" he said wincing as I kept the pressure on his side. "Trust me I wished I didn't" I said as he chuckled at my response as I heard more racing tires.
"You think this will be them" I asked Matteo. "I fucking hope so." He said sharply. "If it isn't, we're in real trouble" he said redundantly as he brought his arm up with gun in hand. "Hold my arm" he said through gritted teeth. I did as he asked, supporting his arm with one hand as the other kept the pressure on the wound. Within seconds, a black Range Rover was on the curb by us and the doors flung open. "Thank fuck" Matteo said letting his arm go limp.

"Sofia" Gio said alarmingly. "Gio" I breathed out a sigh of relief. "What the fuck are you doing here" he said wide eyed. "I was walking, I heard the commotion and then saw your friend on the ground" I said as he crouched down to Matteo. "Ok. Keep that pressure on while I get him up. Bruno grab his other arm" he ordered as another man rushed over. They hauled him to his feet as I kept my hands on his stomach trying to reduce the bleeding. As we walked over to the car, Gio looked at me worriedly. "Marco is going to loose his shit" he said shaking his head. "Get in" he said tilting his head to the car. As I did, he and Bruno slid Matteo in besides me. "Bruno, get Jr in the boot and call Marco to tell him we're inbound and we'll need Fran" he ordered as I gulped.

"You ok" I turned to Matteo. "Fine Angel" he said with a chuckle. "I wouldn't get too starry eyed Teo, Marco will have your balls" Gio scolded as he slid in on the other side of Matteo who was now lifting his brows in my direction. "You know the boss" he asked me. "My best friend is marrying Leo" I said softly as he smiled warmly. "Lessi talks about you all the time" he chuckled as I rolled my eyes. "Probably moaning about me" I smiled as he nodded. Bruno clambering into the front seat as the driver stepped on the gas. "You're not what she described" he chuckled to himself. "No?" I asked as he shook his head. "The woman she described would never go over and ask a dying man who he needed to call" he chuckled as I bit my lip admiring my own courage.
I turned to the front wondering if we were close. Bruno was onto his second phone call, something about a clean up. I had to wonder what Alessia had told people about me, whether given my position earlier at the Marchetti's she'd have done the same. "Keep the pressure on Sofia" Gio urged as Matteo hissed. "We're nearly there man" he said to his comrade. If that's what they called them.
True to his word, we rolled through the gates at Marcos pretty soon after. As we skidded on the drive the front door opened and a multitude of people flew out. A couple ran to the car, and as Gio got out he let them in to get to Matteo. I watched as Gio went to Marco immediately, whispering closely to him as his face turned from worry to utter anger. "Sofia" Fran said from where she stood in the car doorway. "He's lost a lot. I've tried to put pressure on but it hasn't stopped" I said to her as she nodded. "And you" she asked. "I'm fine" I gulped as she took the job of holding my sobbing jacket on Matteos wound whilst burly men hauled him from the car.
As I watched them descend the steps I coyly slid from my seat and onto the gravel driveway. My eyes meeting Marcos instantly as Gio held him back. Was he angry with me?
I stood motionless as the dead body was pulled from the back of the Range Rover and carried passed me and into the house. "You saved him" Marcos voice said as he appeared in-front of him. "I got him here. Whether he can be saved is questionable" I said sadly as he nodded. "Fran is good at what she does" he tried to offer some comfort despite his serious frown. "I know, I'm sorry I couldn't do more for your other man. He was dead by the time I went over" I said as he gulped. "Come inside" he said as he ushered me up the steps.