40.

It felt like an emergency break when the car did finally stop. Yet I didn't want to look up, the fear of god was in me. My head was pounding, my stomach was churning, my whole body ached and all I could hear was gunfire still. I didn't want to open my eyes. I didn't want to face reality. "Good work Alfredo" Tony said with relief. "You girls ok" he asked as I felt Louisa move. "Fine" she said as I stayed trembling in my slumped position. "Sof" she said as my head throbbed. "Mhm" I responded. Unable to make the words. My body felt heavy. My eyelids were droopy. "Fuck" Louisa said. "Get her out the car and into my office now" she ordered as everyone seemed to move around me. I felt like I was floating when I was pulled from the car. My head bobbing with the movement as my arms sagged besides me. "Her pulse is thready" Louisa said as I felt my wrist being squeezed. "She must be in shock" she said almost panicked. "Lou" I mumbled. "I'm here Sof, just stay with me" she pleaded as I felt my eyes flicker. I could feel her reapplying all my monitoring, then a sharp scratch on my hand followed by wriggling. "Just sorting you some fluids Sof, you're gonna be ok" she encouraged as I smiled weakly. "I've let Luca know" lorenzo's voice said with almost sadness. "What did he say" Lou asked him. "He hasn't responded yet" he sighed as I gulped. He was with Romero. His number one priority. He didn't actually care about me. He wouldn't actually be there for me. "Did she say anything about who did it" Lorenzo asked. "No" I whispered as he chuckled. "You're barely breathing and you still won't tell us" he sighed as he came to my side. "Dad, not now. She'll end up fitting again" Louisa warned. "I know. I just want her to know I'm here" he said softly. "I know" I mumbled as I squeezed his hand softly. My head still felt like it was on fire. "Lou" I said with a dry mouth. "Mhm" she said as I heard her clattering about. "Can I sleep now" I asked softly. "Sure" she said as I breathed a sigh of relief. Before I finally succumbed to sleep I felt her place a mask on my face.

"She'll wake up though right" I heard Luca say firmly. "Eventually. She needs rest" Louisa said Indifferently. "And you promise no one got to her" he said with urgency. "No, she just has a concussion and mild shock, she should sleep it off" Louisa replied. "I should've been here" he said upset. "I told you to stay with her" Louisa scolded him. "I had to see Ro" he argued. "You put him over her" she said sourly. "You know she comes first" he spat back. "Doesn't seem like that from where I'm sat Luca" she hissed at him. "He's my brother." He tried to defend. "She will be the mother of your baby at the very least, and don't forget he's your cousin. Not our brother" Louisa retorted. "Please stop arguing" I mumbled as they both silenced and turned to me. "Thank good you're awake" Luca said with relief. "How is he?" I asked immediately. "Forget about that, we need to focus on you" Luca said as he glanced to his sister. "I can't forget about a dying man. How is he" I asked with a croaky voice. "Stable at least. He wiggled his finger which shows he's responding to voices. They just can't seem to wake him up" he said sadly. "Thank you for asking" he added as I nodded. He thought I was asking because of him. What he didn't know was that I had to know. Like my life depended on it.
"Alessia tried calling you twice" Louisa said as she handed me my phone. I didn't bother unlocking it though. Instead I placed it by my side. Right now I had an immense disliking for the Di Rossi. They shot at me, at our car. I couldn't help but blame them for me feeling so shit. "She probably wants to know you're safe" Louisa encouraged. "Which means she knew we were going to be shot at" I said sourly. "She may not have known at the time" Louisa tried to defend. "Marco knew I'd be in that car" I said annoyed. "I can't defend him. But don't take it out on Alessia" she sighed deflated as I nodded. "I'll call her in a bit. I'm still tired" I said honestly as she nodded. "How long does she need to stay in here" Luca asked gruffly. "Probably another 24 hours" Louisa said. "I want her to have had 48hours of IV antibiotics just in case and I need to check she's eating before I discharge her and take those fluids down" Louisa said as I nodded. "I want someone in here at all times" he said to his sister. "If it's not me it'll be Tony" he said with a definitive tone. "No one else is allowed in" Luca said firmly. "What about dad" Louisa asked, luca contemplated it before looking at me. "Makes no difference to me" I shrugged. "Is there anyone you don't want in here" he said with a raised brow. "You're not getting it out of me Luca. If I tell you I'm dead meat. If I'm with you I'm dead meat. If anything you not being in here would do me a favour" I said as his jaw ticked before he stormed out barking orders at who knows who.
"That was maybe a tad harsh" Louisa said softly. "Truth hurts" I said before rolling over, not wanting to talk to anyone. I felt hurt that Marco shot at me, felt hurt that Alessia could've known. I felt hurt that the world didn't love me enough to keep Romero comatose, I felt hurt that Luca would always choose him. Deciding it was easier, I allowed myself to fall asleep rather than dwell on how alone I felt.
When I opened my eyes it was dark in the room. The only light was on the IV pump and on a phone in the corner. "Whatcha playing" I asked Tony, who almost jumped out of his skin at my voice. "Hell Sof, please don't make me jump like that" he said clutching his heart. "Sorry" I giggled slightly. "How you feeling" he asked. "Slightly sore" I said feeling the usual numb ache in my side. "Want me to get lou" he asked worried. "No, I'm ok" I said softly. "Are you sure? Luca will bust by balls if you're in pain on my watch" he said seriously. "Where is he" I asked, knowing I hadn't seen him since I'd basically told him to get lost. "He's back at the hospital. Ro has taken a bit of a turn" he said as he stood up from his chair and walked over to me. "I can call him back if you need me too" he said but I shook my head. "Let him be with Ro" I said in a shaky breath. "You're shaking" he said concerned. "I'm okay" I said taking deep breaths. The thought of Romero being unwell, not waking up made me feel all kinds of relief and stress simultaneously. "I'm going to go get lou" he said worriedly. "No let her sleep, I'm ok. I just keep reliving everything" I said with a gulp. "Come here" he said softly as he engulfed me in a hug. "You're going to be safe here Sofia, me, lou, Luca. We won't let anything happen to you" he said softly as he rubbed my arms soothingly. "I don't think you'll get a choice in the matter. He was so intent on hurting me last time" I said as I let my emotions get the better of me. Tears pouring out finally as the magnitude of it all sunk in. "I've got you" he said warmly as I sat and cried as he hugged me. My whole life was turned upside down, I didn't feel I could talk to Alessia. I didn't feel protected by Marco. I didn't feel particularly safe here, and Luca being so close to Romero offered me no protection at all. Tony hugging me had made me feel safer than anyone had in the last week. "Let it all out" he said softly as he encouraged me. "I just feel so alone" I said eventually. "Lots of people care about you" he said gently. "Luca, Alessia, Louisa, arguably Marco" he continued. "Marco shot at us. Knowingly. Alessia knew and did nothing. Luca is with Ro. And Louisa, well yes she's been there the most but she didn't like me from the off" I said sadly. "I think she misunderstood. She knew you had history with Marco, she didn't want a war being started..." he quietened. "Look how that turned out" I sighed as he chuckled. "I still don't quite get why he shot Ro, he knew it would start a war and it was so purposeful" he said almost frustrated. "Men are thick" I said softly, it wasn't a jibe at Marco but more a statement about the Marchetti. If they hadn't realised why Marco shot Romero then really they're idiots. "I'd have thought you'd have known Marco better than anyone" he chuckled. "I do and I know he always thinks everything through. Trust me when I say he wouldn't have shot Romero on impulse" I said as I wiped my eyes. "You think he knew what he was doing" he asked seriously. "I know he did" I said looking up at him, he was somewhat taken a back. "How" he said pulling slight away from me. "Sofia, if you know something about this you're going to have to tell Luca." He said looking panicked. "Marco didn't tell me he was going to do it if that's what you're thinking. He was just angry I was hurt. Romero being shot didn't exactly come as a shock to me" I said honestly as he nodded. "You think he just took his anger out on Ro" Tony questioned. "And some" I said not telling the entire truth. I couldn't risk Tony working out why it was Romero specifically that was shot.
My phone ringing made me glance away from Tony who looked deep in contemplation. "Alessia" I sighed looking at the screen. "Answer it" Tony instructed encouragingly. I hesitated. Did I really want to speak with her. "Less" I finally answered. "Thank god. You had me so fucking worried" she said almost crying down the phone. "You should've reminded Marco who he was shooting at" I said almost sourly. "It wasn't Marco" she said with a sigh. "Fuck everything's a mess" she sobbed. "What do you mean it wasn't Marco." I said confused. "He's with Fran, she thought she'd sorted him but we had to operate when we got him home. He had shrapnel in his artery" she blabbed as I sat stunned. "When Gio came in to tell us what happened it was too late" she sobbed. "I thought they'd killed you" she sobbed further. "Gio made the call" I choked. "Not on the correct intel. We didn't know it was you. We were told it was the boys leaving, all in black hoodies" she stammered. But then Gio spotted Tony thrust long hair down and he froze" she rambled. "Gio tried to call it off but by that point your guys were shooting back, they had to defend themselves" she sobbed. "Gio hates himself" she continued sniffling as I gulped. "He was doing his job" I sighed. "But just let him know women wear black jumpers too" I said trying to make light of the situation. I'd cried enough tonight. "I will" she said still sobbing. "How's Marco" I dared to ask. "Awake and angry" she sighed. "Same old" I said simply as she sniffled in response. "Gio is lucky to still be alive" she said sadly. "Tell Marco to calm down. Let him know I'm safe and alive. And tell him to stop trying to kill everyone. He's done enough" I said as Tony smiled softly at me. "I will, you're telling the truth though right. You're safe" she asked worried. "I was shook up earlier. I'm still on fluids and IV antibiotics but I should be discharged by morning" I said as she sighed in relief. "And the seizures" she asked whilst I gulped. "I had one this morning." I said sadly. "They'll go though eventually" she asked questioningly. "When the trauma does" I explained as she responded with a "Mhm". A moment of silence passed before I heard a door close on her end. "I need to go Sof, I'll call you soon ok" she said softly. "Course" I said before ending the call.