𝐭𝐞𝐧

❛ YOU PROMISED

YOU PROMISED.
10. Liar
SEASON 02 EPISODE 04
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Remorse. It's all over his face, with a dash of maliciousness, and it didn't seem to cease. He was hiding something, it looked like it, but at the same time his shoulders seem weightless. The suspicion within me builds when the man was reluctant to speak on Otis' behalf. Shane's hiding something.

It was hard to hide things from me, expression reading is just one of the things I learned to do.

"We were about done." Shane speaks, his eyes landing everywhere but never on any of us; it's another tell. "Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping.. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up; We've gotta save the boy, see that's what he said." His voice cracks, almost as if he's about to cry. "He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead, Run, he said. He said, I'll take the rear. I'll cover you, and when I looked back.." Shane trails off looking over to the blonde woman, who's holding back her tears.

I didn't believe a word of it. Everything about Shane screamed of bad vibes; of eeriness and guilt. There was no part of me that believed a word of his story. He's a liar. I drop my head when he steps forward, my nails digging into my skin of my arms.

"If not for Otis," Shane pauses as he glances around the group, more confident with his lies. "I'd never have made it out alive.." Angrily, I scowl at the nothing, "And that goes for Carl, too. It was Otis." He says, taking a rock from ththe rusty wheelbarrow and stacking it on top of the mountain of rocks used for a burial. "He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it's his."

I scoff before stepping away from the group. I couldn't stand around and listen as Shane goes on with his lies. I, also, didn't want to be at the memorial anyways; I want to be with the only person I could tolerate, Carl Grimes.

"Ken." The boy breathes, laughing just a bit.

I frown at the nickname, grabbing a chair and dragging it to his bedside. "Ken.." I repeat the name, which only causes my frown to deepen. "I don't like it."

"And that's why I'll use it." Carl says before pausing for a long moment, narrowing his eyes at me and asking hopefully, "Are you here to tell me about your dad..?"

"Is that what you want..? You want me to tell you about him..?" I question back with the intent to stall him and this conversation. I sigh, the desperation of wanting or needing to know more about me is written all over his face, and it's very obvious. "What is it that you want to know?"

"Why do you hate him?"

"I don't hate my dad." I answer him quickly in an accusatory tone before scoffing and looking at my hands, drumming my fingers against my lap. "I just think he's a bit of a bully, and he didn't have time to love me like a dad should." Carl keeps his eyes on mine, staring me down, "He was living  in Virginia, with his new wife and they were trying to make a family.. he just didn't have time for me anymore."