𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

❛ YOU PROMISED

YOU PROMISED.
26. New Friend
SEASON 04 EPISODE 01
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"You ever think about it?" It was the question; the only one to ever repeat over and over in my mind since the start. "You know, like, in school they would ask what you wanted to be when you grew up, how you see yourself in fifteen years? Did you ever think about it?" I ask aloud watching the sky and the clouds, admiring nature as it goes by.

"I... I haven't." He answers, eyes burning into the side of head. "The question never really mattered to me."

"I have." I tell him continuing to admire the sky, sighing in contentment. "I wanted to become a screenwriter or an actress; I know, it's stupid but it's a dream. It really doesn't matter anyways, I'll never have a chance."

"A screenwriter, huh?" Patrick vibrates a soft hum, grinning at me gently. "And an actress? You would've been really friggin rich." His comment made me laugh, hard, for no absolute reason.

"Yeah..." I breathe, trying to control my laughs. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

The warmth between us shuddered into a wave of chills, ruining the entire mood. It made me sit up and break my stare from the sky, just to look over at the children— the reason for our broken mood. They are screaming and trying to speak to the dead people who were attempting to climb the fence, as if it were possible. A frown falls on my lips at the sight, an annoyed groan shaking up my throat.

"Nick, look over here."

"This one's Wayne."

"Nick."

"Nick, over here."

"Hi, Nick!"

"You're naming them?" Carl questions, approaching them and before they could reply, I was at his side, letting out a deep and quick breath.

"Well, one of them has a name tag." One of them answered, stepping forward. "So we though all of them should."

"They had names when they were alive. They're dead now." Carl shrugs, tossing the soccer ball between his hands.

"No, they're not. They're just different." Another says, shrugging back.

"What the hell are you talking about?" He snaps, glaring down at her. The tone in his voice made me sigh, placing my hands on my hips, frowning. "Okay, they don't talk. They don't think. They eat people. They kill people."