12

Me, Billy, Lucas and Max rode in Billy's car. Robin, Mike, Will, Dustin and Jonathan were riding in Jonathan's car. Everyone was very happy. It was strange to see Billy happy. He was genuinely smiling and joking with Max. Maybe Billy actually changed his behavior and started treating his sister nicer. Or maybe it's just considering his fun? While driving, Billy put his hand on my thigh and squeezed it. Max snorted.

"Stop it, you're disgusting..." Max spoke.

"Maxine!" Billy and I both shouted. That girl completely forgot that Lucas was in the car with us.

"I'm sorry..." Max said quietly and laughed.

"Hey, what's going on?" Lucas asked. He really looked surprised. But Max started to laugh.

"Don't pay attention, Lucas. It's just an ordinary family drama." Said Max. I couldn't help but laugh heartily. I love Max, that girl is just perfect. I don't understand how Billy can treat her so disgustingly. I looked at Billy, he was looking at me the whole time and smiling a little smile. Meanwhile, Lucas still did not understand what was happening here.

Dinner at the pizzeria was perfect. I used to be so happy. Even Jonathan was laughing more than usual. I noticed that Robin kept looking at Jonathan very often. Apparently, Max noticed that too. Max and I looked at each other and both laughed at the same time. The kids talked to each other and we joked about different topics. I was so happy that Billy got to hang out with my best friends more. However, our attention was caught by Steve walking towards our table. He was happy, looking at Billy and smiling. Billy tensed up next to me and pulled me closer to him.

"Nice game, Billy. I'm having a party at my house today, so I'm inviting you all. Well, except for the kids." Steve said happily. It was strange. "I hope you will come?"

"No..." I immediately refused. But Billy smiled at Steve.

"We'll definitely come, Harrington." said Billy. Steve nodded and disappeared from our table.

"I thought we hated him," Robin said thoughtfully. Everyone at our table was silent. No one understood why Billy accepted Steve's proposal.

"What? You expected me to turn down free drinks? Absolutely not! Time to take down the king of Hawkins high school. Now it's my turn to reign." Billy said proudly. Everyone around them was still shocked, but they also started laughing.

"Billy..." Max addressed quietly. She was a bit of a swamp. Billy turned to Max. His smile disappeared.

"What?" Billy replied angrily. I smacked him lightly in the side.

"You won't be home today anyway, maybe I can stay at Lucas tonight?" Max asked quietly.

"What?" asked Billy angrily.

"It doesn't matter, I'll go home." Max replied sadly.

"you will go to Lucas house, but you will have a sleepover with Erica, right?" I asked the girl. Max just nodded her head and lowered her eyes to the ground. Billy sighed.

"Great, be at Lucas tonight." Billy said. The girl's eyes were full of joy. A huge smile appeared on her face. Without waiting for anything, she hugged Billy and started running towards the exit with the children.

"Thanks Billy! I'll come back tomorrow by myself, you won't have to bring me back!" Max shouted as she ran. I smiled. After all, it takes so little to make her happy. Everyone was silent. Robin took a quiet sip of her drink and set it down on the table. Jonathan tried to stifle his laughter.

"See, it wasn't that hard." I said quietly to Billy. He just rolled his eyes and took a sip of his drink. He pulled his hands away from me and stood up.

"I'll excuse myself for a moment, I'm going outside." Billy said quickly and disappeared from the pizzeria. Robin and Jonathan looked at each other. What happened now?

"What happened to him? Why did he get upset so quickly? After all, you didn't say anything bad." Jonathan said. He still hadn't gotten over Billy's behavior. In fact, hardly anyone will understand Billy's behavior at all. His mood changes very quickly.

"I don't know, Jonathan. He always acts strange. It doesn't surprise me anymore." I confessed.

"Layla, go to him. Don't leave him alone." Robin urged me. She looked into my eyes with a warm look. I really wanted to go to Billy, but I was afraid that I would be rejected. Robin glared at me. I sighed and got up from my chair. 

Without waiting for anything, I rushed outside to look for Billy. I went behind the pizzeria where there was a smoking area. But I saw what I feared most. Again. But I couldn't have expected anything else from Billy. He was standing against the wall with none other than Linda snuggled up against him. They kissed passionately and Billy seemed to enjoy it.

"Nice job, Billy." I shouted. The girl backed away from Billy, who didn't expect to see me. Even though we weren't a real couple, I still wasn't happy.

"Oops." Linda said mockingly. I didn't want to see anything anymore. I turned around and headed towards the pizzeria. We're on our way to Steve's party right now.

"Layla, I can explain everything." Billy shouted after me. I didn't need any explanation. I didn't care. After going to the pizzeria, I took my backpack and turned to my friends. They looked at me questioningly.

"Let's go, now." I said angrily. They stood up without asking and started walking towards Jonathan's car. Billy tried to catch up with us, but I kept ignoring his calls.

"Layla, please listen to me. There was nothing you thought about. I swear." Billy shouted. But we got in the car and headed for Steve's house. We were silent the whole way. I tried not to show anyone that I was in pain. During the time Billy and I pretended to be a real couple in love, I managed to get used to him. However, it seems that it no longer matters. Because Linda was right. Billy Hargrove is really just a player.