Is It Fun To Jump To A Conclusion?

Dean stood in front of the hospital. He held determination in his eyes. Today he'll surely get information about his donor. He will surely make the doctor spill the beans by hook or by overacting, as taught by his dear brother.

He remembers the advice from his brother: "Make sure to fill your eyes with tears. Make sure to look pitiful. I'm sure the doctor will say whatever he wants."

Dean inhales and steps inside the hospital, paying a fee for the appointment with Doctor Jenifer. Dean patiently waits for his turn. He looked at his watch, which read 17:47. Dr Jenifer stays till eight in the evening.

"Token number 24." A voice alarmed Dean as he swiftly walked to the cabin.

"Hello, doctor." Dean greets her while closing the door behind him.

The doctor smiled and gestured for him to sit while she fixed her gloves, straightening her posture.

"How may I help you?" the doctor asked as the seat sat in front of her. Dean inhales deeply and looks at the doctor.

"Doc, I want to know about my donor."

"Pardon?"

"Ma'am, four years ago, you helped with a heart transplant. In case you don't remember, I'm the patient. I'm Dean Rayden. I want to know about my donor. What happened to them, and why did they think to help me?"

"I don't remember yesterday's meal, let alone remembering about an incident four years ago. During those years, I have done many surgeries. How would I remember who you are talking about? I don't even remember whether you were my patient or not."

Dean looks down. Whatever she is saying is true. How would she remember one patient among many? It's like picking a grain of sand from the beach.

"Doc, try to remember--"

"Where were you all these years? You said I had done the surgery four years ago."

Dean keeps the file on the table, having an inner conflict. Dean looks at Jennifer and whispers. "I didn't know how to face this. I was trying to sort out my messed up life. I owe this person my life. All thanks to them, I'm still breathing and living with my loved ones. I could feel the warmth of the family. Overall, a family is away from my donor.

"It's not easy to face the one you regret now—a face you're not proud of; I wanted to strengthen my esteem," Dean added, sighing. The doctor looks at him and takes a note. She scribbles something on the paper.

"I can't give you her—your donor was a lady. I can't give you her resident address. Long story short, her husband would not appreciate your visit." The doctor informs Dean, giving the paper to a confused Dean.

Dean pressed his lips to a thin line. "I understand. He must hate—"

"No, he is a good man. He would not hate, just that you now own his wife's heart." She tries to frame her words, aware that Dean will react negatively. "It's complicated. He loves his wife very much."

The doctor points at the paper and says, "This is the address of her current residence, where she is sleeping peacefully, leaving everyone behind." The doctor holds a tight smile.

"Oh, ok." Dean looks at the address, trying to recognise the street name. Dean furrowed his eyebrows and looked at the doctor.

"How do you know so much about her, doctor? I mean, such detailed information."

"She was my friend."

"Then just now, you acted as though you didn't remember."

"Actually, how could I forget my friend's transplant recipient? I can't trust you and give you information so easily. The fact that you somehow managed to find me and requested to know about her, I thought to just let you know."