The Distance

A shot glass slams on the counter. Sabastian looks at the transparent table with a smirk. The bar is dimly lit with dark colors and loud music.

"Don't stop," Sabastian whispered with hazy eyes, looking at the bartender, who was quick with his skill, pouring another round of shots for the man.

Sabastian empties them one after another. The bartender didn't look worried. He has seen enough people being like this.

"Heartbreak?" The bartender asked, cleaning a mug with a clean cloth.

"I know; I'm rejected before I can confess, man."

"How do you know that?"

"Because my love doesn't even look at me. It's been two days since I last talked with him. And, you know. He doesn't even realize it."

"He, so it's a man. Men are much more difficult to pursue than women."

"Aren't you disgusted? I'm liking a man."

"I have been working on this bar for around five years now." The bartender shrugged. "I have seen gay couples. At first, I was disgusted. But I saw their love for one another. I feel love is love after all. The emotions don't see gender, do they?"

Sabastian shook his head with a hiccup. "Not at all." He whispered, having difficulty opening his eyes.

"How do you court a man, then?" Sabastian asked, placing his chin on his hand. His eyes were fixed on the bartender, who was pouring wine.

"That's a mystery for you." The bartender keeps the drinks on a tray. "One suggestion: make your man feel special, not awkward with you."

Sabastian ruffles his hair with a nod. He stared at the bartender walking around the club while taking orders, having conversations with customers, pouring liquor into empty glasses, and taking tips from them. He looks professionally trained, as though he owns the bar.

"Do I look handsome?" Sabastian asked the bartender as he went behind the counter.

"Yeah. But, less than me." Sabastian Snickers at the reply.

Sabastian looks at the bartender with a smile. "Can I hit on you?"

"Whoa," the bartender says, looking around. "Weren't you mopping around a while ago?" He points his finger.

Sabastian shrugged. "I want to know whether I'm good at it."

"So," the bartender said, raising eyebrows. "Will I be used as an experiment?"

"I-I guess," Sabastian said, licking his lips. "I suppose so. I mean, I just-"

"What's my profit?" The bartender wipes the table.

Sabastian cups his face. "This handsome face."

The bartender didn't even look at him. "Pass."

Sabastian gave a thought and said, "Twenty dollars."

"Fifty."

Sebastian shook his head and said, "I can't afford that."

"Poor man wishes to persuade a man and doesn't even have money to spend on him."

"Dean isn't a gold digger." Sabastian snaps.

"So, that's his name." The bartender replied calmly.

Sabastian raised eyebrows. "Are you James Bond?"

The bartender looked keenly at Sabastian and said, "Cocky, full of himself, with an attitude and too much pride, thinks he can own anything in this world and many more things; with these features, it's unlikely for Dean to like you."