Stepping Up With You

"Dean," There was a knock that followed as Dean looked up from his suitcase.

"Excited for the trip?" Ethan asked, walking inside with a glass of milk for his brother.

"Not really. I'm worried. It's been a long time." Dean smiled at his brother as he replied, leaving the shirts aside.

"Don't worry, everything will be good," Ethan said, giving the glass of milk to Dean and sitting next to him on the bed.

"Hope the same." Dean sips a little and looks ahead at the picture of their growing childhood. The frames have collected dust in them.

"It would have been nice if you would have joined us," Dean said with a lingering smile while glancing at his elder brother.

"Trust me, if I knew being a photographer you can travel anywhere for free. I would have surely tried this career."

"Brother, don't take up something because it looks good for now. You should first think about whether it gives you happiness."

"Well, are you happy?" This question paused Dean's movements as he was going to sip again. "Are you liking this profession, which is different from teaching?"

"Yeah, it's good. I get paid better. My friend is calling me a 'to-be model'. He is happier than me. My colleagues congratulated me and wished me luck. In the company, people are very polite and humble; I don't have any trouble communicating with them."

"Good. If you are comfortable, that is fine. Then I'm happy too." Ethan smiled, ruffling Dean's hair.

"When was the last time you went on a trip?" Dean asked, keeping the empty glass aside.

Ethan thought for a moment and replied. "It was probably a college trip."

"After this project ends, We'll have a family outing," Dean suggested, looking at his brother with a soft smile.

"We'll all go out somewhere, maybe anywhere, as long as it's away from this life." Dean further added, earning a quick nod from Ethan.

"Ain't you liking this life?" Ethan asked, looking at his brother with confusion. He thinks that, as a brother, he isn't taking care of this brother. His dear brother suffered from heart disease. He wanted to be there, and probably he should try better.

"It isn't like I don't like it. Sometimes, distractions are needed. Sometimes, we should admire things other than money." Dean explained, looking at his brother and sighing, guessing the turmoil inside his head.

"You are my brother, and I'm lucky to have someone like you." Dean held Ethan's hand. "Thank you for being my brother." Dean smiled as Ethan replicated the same.

"I'm thankful too." Ethan pulls Dean in for a hug.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Teacher?" Dean looked at the source and smiled at Ayan, who was running towards him. His eyes fell on Roman, pushing a trolley with their bags.

As Dean dove down, Ayan smiled brightly and hugged the man.

Roman looks at the duo and smiles softly, watching his son be embraced like the precious boy he is. As soon as Ayan saw his teacher, he left his father behind.

This teacher-student bond is very special. Probably something that Roman will never understand. He tried to keep them apart; however, their fate always brought them together. He realized it was a waste of time and should better accept that his son could be happy in someone else's embrace other than his.

"How are you?" Dean asked, holding the boy's delicate face, who giggled while hugging his teacher again.

"I'm feeling nice. I was so sleepy when Papa woke me." Ayan whined on Dean's neck, earning chuckles from the audience.