Travesty

"It's so cold, and you want ice cream?" Roman asked the boy, who pouted while gazing above, to see his father's chin.

"Don't scold him," Roman heard a whisper as he looked at the man through the rear mirror.

"It's cold, and ice cream is not good," Roman explained to Dean, who sighed and held Roman's shoulder while leaning forward.

Dean looks over Roman's shoulder and whispers to Ayan. "Ice cream is not good, dear. How about yummy hot chocolate?"

The boy frowns. He looks above his dad's shoulder. "Ok, if my teacher says then, I want hot chocolate."

Roman smiles at his son and whispers, "Ayan has a favorite coffeehouse near our home. If you don't mind, we can go there."

Dean smiles and says, "Sure, I don't mind. I would love to visit Ayan's favorite cafe."

Blue Orchid Café

Dean gets off the bike while removing his helmet. Roman ruffled Ayan's hair after removing his helmet. Ayan pouts, trying to fix his hair properly.

The café had a warm atmosphere as they entered. The soft chattering of customers and the sweet smell of pastries are in the air. The coffee aroma fluttered with each sip. All in all, it's a place to take a break from life's hurdles and relax.

"Welcome, sir." The cashier smiles at Roman, who steps in while holding Ayan's hand. Dean follows along with Ayan, fisting his ring finger.

"What would you like to order, sir?" The cashier asked with a polite smile.

Roman looks back at Dean. "Hot chocolate for three?" Dean nods his head and looks at Ayan, who is watching cakes.

"Along with a slice of chocolate cake," Dean whispered to Roman, who looked back with confusion. However, Dean gestures with his eyes to see Ayan.

Roman smiled and placed the order accordingly. They sit at an available table.

"Thanks for accepting his request," Roman whispered to Dean while caressing the head of his son with a soft smile.

"I'm glad to be here. I probably needed this time." Dean looks at a wall where multiple positive quotes are written. "Away from the upcoming changes you know and..." His eyes read a positive quote. "You can't avoid it."

Ayan looks at the adults with confusion. He can't understand what they're saying, so instead he looks at the wall where Dean was watching.

"Leaf is mister." Ayan spells the letters and says them while looking at Dean for approval.

Dean shook his head. "Life is a mystery."

"Mister," Ayan repeats.

Roman smiles and replies. "Mystery. It means something we have to solve."

"Oh." He looks back at the quote. "Life is a mystery."

He grins at his teacher and papa, who clapped, encouraging him. He felt his ears burning with shyness.

"Roman?" The mentioned male looks behind him. "What a pleasant surprise, man."

Roman smiled and glanced at his son. "Uncle Cal." The boy is already on his feet to hug the man.

Calder picks up the boy in his arms. "At least you know how to welcome, unlike your father."

"I can clearly hear it," Roman grumbled.

Calder grins. "I want you to hear it too." His eyes fall on the new face.

"I think I have seen you somewhere," Calder said while looking closely at Dean, who looked back confusedly.