Chapter 3: Close Encounters

Lara entered the building only to be met with a jumble of words flooding from her friends mouth, with only a few words she could pick out from the mess, these being wand, assessment, and Ms. Lehrerin.

"Woah, slow down! One topic at a time!", Lara said holding her hands out in a stopping gesture.

Silvio took a deep breath and exhaled before continuing as slowly as he was capable.

"Ms. Lehrerin let me leave early today cause its assessment day, so I came as quick as I could to meet you before you went in to try and pump you up I guess, but then I remembered I just got this and I really wanted to show you", he explained before holding up a carved wooden box and opening it, revealing a wand inside. The wands handle was wrapped in a forest green cloth with a golden end cap, the shaft of the wand was carved to look like it had vines in it, which were filled in with a silvery metal, and the tip had a polished green gem on the end.

"Thats, wow, that looks...magic-y?", she said, not really sure what to say, she didnt know much about magic, since the Legion Der Beschützer didnt have any handbooks on magic, it was never her forte anyways, she preferred the durability of a mace and shield over the unpredictability and brain work of a wand and spellbook.

"The base is made from rare Ipe wood, which is why its so heavy compared to other wands, the metal parts are niobium which is a good conductor, and the gemstone on the tip is a rare emerald, which allows it to perform Viridis magic better". Silvio began to list of all the properties of his new wand with such glee Lara didnt want to make him stop.

"Arent you supposed to be working Ms. Schmied?", A voice pierced through Silvio's rambling and caused the two of them to turn quickly towards the front doors, where a sharply dressed man in black and gold with a matching gold and black cape had just entered.

"Oh, good afternoon Sergeant Betrug!", Lara replied hastily, standing straight up and putting her right hand up and saluting.

"Put your hand down kid, and you can just call me Roland when your mother or the other sergeants arent around", he said, letting out a slight chuckle seeing the young lady act so professional at his sight.

"Sorry Serge-Roland, im just stressed for today", She apologized, holding her hands together firmly, she was so tense she was ready to snap at any second.

"You're quite alright miss, but you still havent answered my question?", he said, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow at her, waiting for a response.

"O-oh, yeah, well I just figured that since I worked really hard yesterday that I could maybe...join the auditions today for the knights...i-if thats okay?", Lara stammered, hoping to convince him.

"Ms. Schmied, im not sure thats how it works", Roland replied

"B-but I cleaned the building head-to-toe yesterday, this place is barely ever dirty and id say thats because of your amazing example as a sergeant!"

"I'd have to agree sir, she has worked so hard and she just wants the chance to work with a brilliant man such as yourself!", Silvio chimed in.

Roland stood there, grimacing at the two teenagers who were quaking in their boots, it lasted for a minute or so until he burst until he couldnt hold it anymore and burst into laughter, causing all the other knights to briefly stop to look before continuing their work.

"Good gods you kids are terrible at sweet talking, look I dont actually care what you two do, as long as it doesnt make its way back to me", he explained as he wiped tears from his eyes.

"So you're saying we can go?!", Silvio exclaimed

"Yeah Lehrerin already cleared you", Roland said.

"Thank you! thank you!", the two of them said in unison, embracing Roland with joy.

"Hey dont touch me, you'll leave evidence for your mother to find!", Roland said using his arms to peel the two of them off.

"Okay, thanks Mr. Betrug!", Lara yelled back as she ran down the hall, the two of them waving back at him and smiling.

"I told you to just call me Rol-and their already gone...".

Roland walked away sourly as a masked figure emerged from behind a pillar nearby, took a quick glance around, and followed behind the two.