Chapter 5: Interviews

Lara and Silvio entered the next room where they were met with a line leading to a table, sitting on the other end of the table were three people. These three were Ms. Lehrerin, who was gripping her wrapped-up hand, Roland, who was sitting smugly in the chair with his arm crossed, and Mrs. Schmied, who was sitting so far from her chair that she was practically on the table.

"Shit!", Lara exclaimed under her breath.

"Firstly, watch your language, secondly, what were you expecting, your mother runs this place?", asked Silvio.

"I didnt think they would be here, I just assumed they'd have some more low tier people to run this! Why didn't Roland warn us!?" Lara asked, causing Silvio to make a face that said "...Its Roland...".

"You've got a point, this is exactly what he would do" Lara conferred

"Whats plan B?", Silvio asked

"I didnt think this far ahead okay, I didnt plan for this", Lara explained, biting her nails in fear.

"You didn't plan for this?! You said you thought this might happen, so why didn't you plan on it?!", Silvio said, exasperated. They were rapidly aprroaching the end of the line and they didn't have much time.

"What do I do?", Lara pleaded for a solution.

"The only thing thing left to do, wing it and pray for mercy", Silvio said and gave her a push to the table, she turned back to ask him for help but he was already gone.

"Figures, welp, guess I'll die", she said, unsurprised but still dissapointed, letting out a sigh and walking over to the chair infront of the table, pulling down her hood as far as she could and holding her head down.

"Hello Ms...?", Ms. Lehrerin greeted her, waiting for a last name"

"Ms. Verkleidung", Lara replied.

"Well Ms. Verkleidung, would you like to tell us a little about yourself?", Ms. Schmied asked.

"Oh, well im from Riverside village, ive been helping my mother at her smith for the majority of my life, so im fairly strong because of it, and I would like to become a knight so I can put some of that strength to something bigger", Lara replied.

"Really, well I didn't know Riverside had a smith, Im from Riverside and I dont quite remember a smith", Roland pressed on.

"It's new, and we dont advertise much", Lara said through gritted teeth, glaring angrily at Roland, who was wearing a mischievous grin.

"Well, your test results were phenomenal, you passed with flying colors, but we would like to know one thing, apparently you left no references, is there a reason for this?", Ms. Lehrerin asked.

"Yeah, my mother doesnt really approve of me joining the knights, so she asked everyone in Riverside to refuse to give me any references if I asked them", Lara explained to them, Mrs Schmied and Ms. Lehrerin looked caught off guard, Roland merely raised his eyebrow in curiousity.

"That's a shame, a mother not believing in her daughter", Lehrerin said with disappointment.

"I understand how you feel, my mother didn't approve of me marrying a smith when I was younger", Mrs. Schmied said, placing her hand on Lara's hand empathetically.

"Yeah, you have no idea", Lara replied sarcastically under her breath as she slowly pulled her hand out from beneath her mothers.

"Well, now that everythings cleared up, we would like to congratulate you on passing your interview, you may continue to the final test through the doors behind us", Ms. Lehrerin stated, placing Lara's test into a folder and setting it aside.

"Thank you so much!", Lara exclaimed and stood up with such speed, she almost caused her hood to fall down.

"Before you go, I just wanted to say that although your mother may not believe in you, I do", Mrs. Schmied said.

"I'll make you proud-", Lara said as she walked away, caught off guard by something she never thought she would hear from her mother, even if her mother wasn't saying it to her.

"-But only after I make you very mad", Lara continued with a slight grin.