Chapter 10: The Lecture

Marcus and Lara finally arrived at Mrs. Schmieds office, where she was standing behind her desk with her arms folded angrily, staring out the large window behind her facing towards the city. To the left and right of the room was Ms. Lehrerin and Roland respectively.

"Thank you Marcus, you may leave now", Mrs. Schmied said solemnly, Lara took a seat in the chair infront of her, or atleast, she was going to before it was pulled away to the left by a bolt of energy from Ms. Lehrerin's wand, causing Lara to fall onto the floor.

"Why'd you take the chair?", Lara asked angrily as she got back up.

"You dont get to sit down after all the trouble you caused today!", Edlyn said angrily as she turned around to face.

"Thats just immature!", Lara yelled back.

"You dont get to tell me whats immature, you left your work, used a false identity to sneak into the assessments, chased after a thief without authority, and caused hundred's of coins worth of property damage!", Mrs. Schmied ranted on as she read off a slip of paper. 

"I was trying to help!", Lara retorted.

"It wasn't your place to help!", Edlyn countered.

"Lara, you have to understand that your actions today, under normal circumstances, would add up to some heavy charges, you've put your mother in an impossible position", Ms. Lehrerin added.

"I met with the other representatives had mixed views on the matter and how we should handle it, some believe that since she only was trying to help, Lara should only have to perform some community service-", Roland stated

"Yes!", Lara exclaimed victoriously.

"-others believe that since today is her eighteenth birthday and that she is now an adult, she should be charged as an adult in full", Roland continued.

"No!", Lara exclaimed despairingly

"I was able to convince them to settle on something in the middle, the consesus was that Lara perform community service AND be barred from joining the knights permanently", Roland finished.

"That's bullshit!", Lara shouted as she slammed her hands on the desk.

"Watch you're language, you should be thankful your not in prison young lady, honestly, after all I've done for you, giving you a house, food, even a job, and this is how you act!", Edlyn said frustratedly.

"This 'generous' job you gave me was so you could control me and keep tabs on me, you've never trusted me, and you never wanted or planned on letting me join the knights", Lara stated.

"That is not true and you know it!"

"Oh really, then explain why you never let me read any books on fighting technique or even the knights handbook?"

"You were too young and impressionable for that kind of content"

"Then how come you never let me practice any combat or even hold a weapon?"

"You could hurt yourself, you know how clumsy you can be"

"You moved my schedule around any of the training excercises and demonstrations, and if you couldn't move my schedule around it you would send me on pointless errands to keep me from it"

"You're just making things up now"

This went on and on for several minutes, with Ms. Lehrerin and Roland standing akwardly in place.

"Ever since dad died you have done nothing but keep me away from the knights and under your thumb", Lara finally said, which took Ms. Lehrerin and Roland aback, Edlyn's eyes opened wide with rage.

"Dont you use him against me!", Edlyn said through gritted teeth.

"You hate that I want to join the knights because it reminds you of him", Lara pressed on, Ms. Lehrerin motioned her to stop but Lara ignored it.

"...", Edlyn didn't respond, her hands were clenched and shaking, both lying on the desk as she stared at the ground.

"You only ever treat me like a child!", Lara said bitterly.

"Then stop acting like one!!!", Edlyn shouted, slammed her fists into her desk and rose swiftly, staring at Lara furiously, Lara stood up and got as close as she could to her mother to try and match her. The tension was suddenly cut as the doors swung open, Marcus stammered in quickly, struggling to catch his breath.

"WHAT!?", Edlyn and Lara turned to face the door together and spoke in frightening unison.

"Its...huff...Its the artifact room...huff...its been robbed!", Marcus finally said.

"Robbed?!", Edlyn exclaimed in disbelief.