Chapter 28: A Mother's Worry

Edlyn awoke in the morning, she lied there for a few moments, staring at the empty side of the bed next to her, she let out a sigh and begrudgingly hopped out of bed and got ready for the day.

Edlyn went over to the bottom of the steps and was about to wake her up until she remembered that she wasn't there, she glumly turned back and walked out the door, her daughter was always thrilled to wake up to the bustling city of Grundgestein, Edlyn had lost that glimmer of joy to see the city she practically ran still bright and hopeful, but that didn't stop her from working hard every day to keep it that way.

She used to take Main Street to work every day, but due to the fame that comes with her position, she now resorts to using the quieter roads to work.

She stopped before headed down the road less traveled and thought about her daughter for a moment.

"Perhaps taking the path Lara travels every morning might help me understand her better?", Edlyn thought before turning towards Main Street.

Edlyn passed by the citizens of her city, the noise and energy of the city was something she had grown unaccustomed to over the years. She recalled the days when the Monarchy was still in power, the streets were so quiet back then, the people slinked back into the dark corners of the city, whispers and muffled chatter echoed throughout the alleyways.

Looking at the city now, the stark contrast compared to when she was Lara's age was breathtaking, she felt a bit proud of herself then, seeing a city no longer blanketed in paranoia and fear.

As Edlyn fell deep into thought, she was quickly snapped back to reality by a voice hollering across the street.

"Damnit boys put your backs into it!", Mr. Tischler was attempting to carry a bed frame into a wagon, with his two twin grandsons doing their best to help.

Edlyn quickly ran to the rescue and assisted them, grabbing behind the frame that nobody was on and helping them to place it onto the wagon.

"Thank you Lar- Oh, Mrs. Schmied, I'm so sorry, I had assumed it was your daughter who had come to my aid as usual", Mr. Tischler began, expecting it to be Lara but was caught off guard when he saw that Edlyn was the one behind the frame.

"It's quite alright Mr. Tischler, does my daughter help you often?", Edlyn queried.

"On the daily! Speaking of her, where has she been the last few days?", Mr. Tischler asked with a hint of concern.

"She is on a mission right now", Edlyn answered whilst wiping off her hands.

"A mission?! Does that mean she passed?", Mr. Tischler asked excitedly.

"Well not exa-", Edlyn was about to break the news but was interrupted.

"That daughter of yours is perfect for the knights, a heart of gold on her and courage to boot!", Mr. Tischler began to ramble.

"About that-", Edlyn was interrupted once again.

"Ah but you dont need me telling ya how great she is, you've been raising that fine young lady all her life, and you did a bang up job I'd say", Mr. Tischler continued to praise Lara.

"I understand that but-"

"And I aint the only person here in town she's helped almost every morning, afternoon, and night, on her breaks she goes round town and helps everyone in town while she eats, everyone's rooting for her!", Mr. Tischler said, this caught Edlyn off guard, she had never heard about this until now.

"I see, well I'm still grading them so nobody has been accepted or declined yet, but I assure you I will have a list of everyone accepted into the guards posted on all the bulletin boards", Edlyn answered.

"Alrighty then, I'll understand either way, but I see no reason not to let her join, I can tell greatness runs in your family!", Mr. Tischler said as he hopped onto his wagon and went on his way, Edlyn stood there briefly and watched them head off into the distance before making her way to work.

Once Edlyn made it to the precinct she noticed just how quiet it was, she looked around for someone and saw a female knight nearby.

"where is everyone?", Edlyn asked with a bit of distress in her tone.

"Well, Ms. Lehrerin took Marcus on an assignment, she would'nt disclose any details", she answered politely.

"No missions should be undisclosed, especially not to me!", Edlyn exclaimed.

"I am sorry Captain, but she would not elaborate and left in a rush", the young girl explained.

"What about Sergeant Betrug?", Edlyn asked further.

"He left with multiple knights to retrieve the key", she stated.

"He said he would send a few Knights to investigate it, not half the guard", Edlyn thought to herself.

"That is sufficient, at ease officer", Edlyn stated, the young lady left and she continued to her office.

She entered her office and slammed the door behind her. Edlyn strolled over to her desk and fell back into the chair.

She looked around her messy desk and began to clean it up but was stopped when she moved a pile and uncovered a framed portrait of Edlyn, Lara, and her late husband.

Her eyes grew heavy, she picked up the portrait and lied back down into her seat, she held the photo and stared into her husbands eyes lovingly.

"Oh Milo, what do I do?", She said aloud as if her husband was right there with her.

"You were always better at this stuff, this wasn't the plan, you were supposed to be in this seat, everything seamed to run so smoothly when you were around", Edlyn said, a small tear running down her face.

Her eyes fixed on a holy emblem on her husbands belt, it was the emblem of Felsen's god, Jord. She wiped the tear off her cheek and went over to a life-sized statue of Jorn which stood infront of a window.

"I never was the religious type, ironic since I'm the one in charge of this whole country, I should be sharing its faith", Edlyn said as she stood infront of the statue, its solemn beauty casting a shadow over her.

"Milo always dragged us to church every sunday morning, no matter how buried in work we were", Edlyn said with a chuckle as she brushed away more tears.

"I know I have no right to ask anything of you, but please, watch over Lara, keep her safe for me, and if not for me, then for Milo", Edlyn asked the statue, it did not move or answer, it merely stood there silently.

Edlyn let out a long sigh before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

The room remained silent, with nothing but the silhouette of Jord blanketing the hardwood floor.