Chapter 22: Progress Report

Klaus and his crew arrived at their base, which was surrounded by a wall made of logs, it even had a moat and bascule bridge to keep out unwanted guests.

Klaus flipped the bird to someone on a tower and they proceeded to give a thumbs up to someone below, they responded by lowering the bascule bridge for them to cross.

Once they reached the other side, Klaus hopped off the wagon and was met by a rather panicked looking man.

"The hell has you all startled?", Klaus asked.

"The uhm, the black armor guy, you remember him?", the man said with a gulp of fear.

"The guy who paid us to trash a village and nothing else, yeah I remember him", Klaus answered coldly.

"W-well, he is here!", The man finally blurted.

"He is here!?", Klaus shouted, the two of them ran to Klaus's office where the man in black armor was sitting in a chair waiting, he was holding a drink and attempting to fit a straw through his helmet.

"This helmet is really inconvenient, I should get it remade with a straw hole", the man said casually as he set his drink down.

"You could just take the helmet off?", Klaus said jeeringly as he sat down in his chair on the opposite side of the desk.

"And let you see my face? I think I'll pass", The masked man scoffed.

"Can I atleast get something to call you? Everybody has been calling you 'black-armored guy'", Klaus asked.

"Fine, how about the 'Ebony Prince', rolls off the tongue doesnt it?", The Ebony Prince said, gesticulating his hand in the air to make it flashier.

"...Yeah I think I'll just call you Travis", Klaus said bluntly.

"Works for me", Travis said as he slumped back comfortably into the chair.

"Why are you even here? If you're here for the key, have it", Klaus said irritably, pulling out a black key with an amber glow and placing it on the desk, the end of the key was rapidly shifting and changing shape.

"Keep it, I think it'll be safer in your hands", Travis said.

"Then why are you here?", Klaus asked again.

"Just a progress report of sorts, like to keep my assets in check", Travis replied.

"Well everything is all good here, so you can leave now", Klaus said, trying to shoo Travis away.

"Is it, cause you only did half the job, and you chose to do the less important task, so tell me, where's the girl?", Travis said as he stood up, putting the end of his sword into Klaus's chest, his mood changing from relaxed to furious in seconds.

"She got away from us, it was hard to see through the smoke", Klaus answered, beginning to sweat as he tried to push himself away from the blade.

"Dont lie to me", Travis said as he pushed the blade a bit further, a bit of blood dribbling out from Klaus's chest.

"Alright fine, I let the kid and her friends go, I have standards!", Klaus finally let it out, he was tipping his chair so far back that the force of the exclamation caused him to fall over, Travis shook his head and pulled Klaus up by the collar.

"I didnt hire you cause of your standards, I hired you because of your resources", Travis said furiously.

"I dont kill kids!", Klaus said as he was held in the air by Travis.

"If your conscience is too much, then simply incapacitate the problems and bring the girl to me, I'll take it from there", Travis said as he dropped Klaus onto the floor.

Klaus scrambled off the floor and dusted himself off, Travis headed for the door but stopped before leaving.

"The good news is that those kids are too stubborn for their own good, and are on their way to us as we speak, dont screw up again or I can give your little base here the same treatment as that village", Travis warned as he walked through the door and closed it behind him.

"Dick", Klaus said.