Chapter 21: The Getaway

Kiburi's victory was cut short when the men blocking the other direction began to retaliate for their leader being knocked out.

Lara spun around and hit one of them in the gut with her mace, she then kicked the injured man into the other two bandits, knocking them to the ground.

Lara and Kiburi used this to quickly help up Silvio and Jiro, Lara helped up Silvio and Kiburi picked Jiro up, they were about to grab Marya but she was already up, she had bandaged her leg herself.

"What took you all so long? let's get the hell out of here!", Marya said as she sprinted in the opposite direction, the others followed behind.

The group of heroes raced their way through the wreckage of Waldrand, the smoke made it difficult to see where they were going and if they were about to run into a path blocked by rubble. After multiple twists and turns through the alleyways they were able to make their way out onto the streets.

"Yes were out!", Lara celebrated.

"No, look over there", Marya said, pointing towards the pile of broken barrels and men picking themselves off the ground that was less than a block away from them.

"Damn it, we just ran in a circle!", Silvio exclaimed angrily.

"Wait, look!", Lara called it, pointing back at the pile of bandits, where abunch of them were climbing onto horse-drawn wagons, one of them was Klaus, who was still rubbing his head in pain from earlier.

"Now we know which way not to go, thank you!", Marya said as she began to run off.

"No, Klaus is our guy, he is the one who hired you", Lara explained to Marya.

"Cool, have fun going after him, I'll bring some nice leftovers to your funeral!", Marya said sarcastically.

"I thought you wanted your coins?", Lara asked.

"That was before I knew who this guy was, I value something a little bit more than money, and that is my life!", Marya hollered.

"And what makes you think he wont come back for you eventually? This guy is ruthless, he runs the biggest crime ring in Felsen, he has eyes everywhere!", Lara stated, Marya was sent aback by this, she stood there in silence and thought about this for a minute before snapping back to reality.

"Fine, but as soon as this guy is out of the picture, so am I!", Marya asserted.

Klaus saw them and told his men to stay put, he hopped off the wagon and walked towards them, the five of them prepared to fight.

"Relax, I'm not gonna fight you, I have far more important business to attend to then the five of you", Klaus said nonchalantly, putting his hands up to show he had no weapons.

"What do you want?", Lara barked.

"Just wanted to give you all a few words of warning, you put up a good fight, but I can tell your going to follow me", Klaus explained calmly.

"Then why not finish us off now?", Kiburi questioned.

"Despite my appearance and choice of employment, I dont actually like to off innocent people, especially not kids, or 'young adults' if thats the preferred term?".

"I didn't expect the bandit leader to have a code of honor", Marya said mockingly.

"I am a man of integrity, but the person I am working for does not share my sentiments, he rather enjoys killing actually, and he especially wants you lot quite dead, except you Lara, he wants you alive for something".

"Alive for what?", Lara queried.

"No clue, all I know is that he has some sort of beef with you, so I suggest you to be careful, I can tell him you got away from me, but if I see you again then I cannot hold back, so if your not ready to make your way to those pearly gates, then I suggest you go home", Klaus explained, his cocky grin and mischievous attitude fading to stern and serious, there was even a hint of empathy in his words.

"Im sorry, but we cant do that, we wont stop until we get that key", Lara declared.

"Then I do hope that you all get good enough to stop me and my crew before you catch up with us", Klaus said with disappointment, a slight frown could be seen on him.

"We already are!", Kiburi exclaimed.

"Keep that confidence, It might save you on the road ahead, one more thing before I get going, the dark forest isnt called the dark forest for no reason, keep your wits about you on the journey ahead, till we meet again, stay safe friends", Klaus said as he hopped onto the cart and hollered at his men to take off, the horses sprinted forwards, the carts disappearing into the forest.

"That was...unexpected, but we cant let it discourage us, we can do this gang, who's with me!?", Lara said, attempting to give an encouraging speech.

"Wooo!", Silvio hollered, trying to hide his fear.

Jiro said nothing, but he nodded approvingly.

"Let's get going then, no time to waste!", Kiburi said excitedly.

"We're all going to die", Marya stated.

"But we can have fun doing it!", Lara said assuredly, Marya shook her head as they all made their way towards the dark forest.