Chapter 4: Examination

Lara and Silvio burst into the training hall, infront of them stood hundreds of people all trying out for a spot in the Defenders of Felsen.

Lara had quickly swapped clothes before they arrived and was still trying to get the cloak she was wearing to conceal as much of her face as possible.

There were groups of people scattered around the place chatting amongst themselves, the noise would've irritated Lara had she not been so ecstatic.

"Eighteen atlast, Ive been practicing my whole life for this moment and its finally here!", Lara exclaimed as she glancing around the room at all the people, unable to stand still.

"Im aware, we have been best friends since my family sent me here", Silvio stated to Lara, almost offended that she felt the need to explain it to him.

"Sorry, im just REALLY excited"

"Well I hope you havent forgotten that your mother will be here"

"Thats what the disguise is for dingus", Lara said as she nudged him with her arm playfully.

"Nothing gets past her, you know that!"

"Nothing but me, I know her the best so I know how to get past her, I can do this!", Lara exclaimed, placing her hands on his shoulders.

"My doubts are not eased, do you even have a plan?", Silvio replied, removing Lara's hands from his shoulders.

"Actually yes! If I can just get far enough into the interviews, then my mom wont be able to stop me without causing a scene, and if there is one thing she wont risk, its her image", Lara explained.

"It is a pretty important image to maintain, she practically runs the nation, is this worth the risk?"

"This is worth EVERYTHING to me!", Lara snapped back and stormed off.

The two of them approached a set of lines leading to a desk where knights were handing out tests and pens while guiding them to a set of booths where they would take them. Eventually Lara made it to the desks where a lady was sitting and holding a clipboard, her hair was in a bun and she was wearing glasses with large, circular lenses.

"Name please?", the lady asked, not bothering to look up from the clipboard, this helped ease Lara's concerns that she might be recognized.

"Oh-uhm, Lana... Lana Verkleidung?", Lana stuttered as she struggled to think of an alias.

"Are you sure that is your name maam, you dont sound too sure of it?", she asked

"Y-yes, that is my name", Lara replied

"Alright then, take these and please head over to the booths on your right", she said monotonously.

"Thank you", Lara replied meekly, taking the pen and papers and swiftly moving back to her friend.

"Did you just change one letter in your name!?", Silvio asked angrily.

"I also changed my name last", Lara retorted

"Your new last name means DISGUISE!"

"I choked, give me a break im stressed!"

Lara rushed to the first booth available and began her test. After about 30 minutes she finally emerged with her test, holding her head up with a confident smile.

"Ive got this!", she declared

"Yeah and Ive got a bad feeling about this", Silvio replied under his breath as they reapproached the desk. The lady was sitting there waiting for them. Drinking out of a peculiar looking bottle, her hair was no longer up and she seamed looser, sitting back in the chair comfortably.

"Well took you long enough, your the last one and I was supposed to be off 20 minutes ago, so hurry up and get in there so me and my colleague can head home", she said as she eyed the male knight to her side, whinking at him. It took him a second to figure it out and when he did his eyes widdened and he began hastily cleaning the area up.

"Sorry", Lara apologized

"Whatever, just get out of here already, and dont stress out too much, you've got this!", the lady said as she slurred some of the words

"Thanks, I guess", Lara replied, thrown aback by the lady's odd behavior, Lara shook it off and they both ran off towards the next stage.

As Lara and Silvio entered the next room and the two knights quickly grabbed eachothers hands and ran out, the hooded figure came through and walked through the door unnoticed.