Chapter Seventeen

Sirena's head snapped up to look up at him. 'Did I hear that correctly? Did he really invite me to go for a walk with him?' She asked herself in her thoughts. Her head tilted to the side a bit as she wondered if he was being serious. Cullen continued to wait patiently for her response with a smile on his lips like he knew what she was thinking. She bit down on her lower lip, thinking this was the best opportunity to get to know the man behind the Commander title. Her head bobbed up and down in a nod.

"Sure, a walk sounds great." She replied finally as she watched for any sign of contact since she knew back in the medieval and renaissance times, men were chivalrous and would often times offer their arm to a lady. Sirena didn't see that sign from Cullen. However, he did motion his hand to her to walk ahead since they both wouldn't fit the door frame if they went at the same time. They walked through the Chantry silently. The only sounds that could be heard was their footsteps echoing in the building.

After they made it out of the echoing Chantry, Cullen and the American girl walked beside each other around the small village known as Haven. They made their way past some huts and shacks as well as the bustling people who were trying to get work done or were running errands. Some people would look at the cousin of the Herald and their Commander walking together with smiles on their faces before talking to someone about the two in whispers. The girl even caught some of the whispering which made her face go red from blushing.

They eventually walked out of the main village in Haven towards the training grounds where the men were working hard to get their techniques perfected. Sirena looked up at Cullen wondering if he was going to go work himself to correct them since it was his job and slowed her own pace down to see what he would do. To her total surprise he walked past the training area after looking at the men practicing the way he taught them. She caught up to him by quickening her footsteps into a fast paced walk. The two then walked over to a quiet and scenic area. They then were standing on a wooden dock that stood on the frozen water, overlooking a waterfall that was iced over just like the water below them. It was a beautiful sight, almost magical. Sirena sat down on the edge of the dock and kicked her legs out. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw movement beside her. Her head then turned to look at Cullen who was now sitting beside her.

"I guess while we have this time, we could get to know each other." The stranger to Thedas suggested while folding her hands in her lap.

"That actually sounds good to me. What is your family like?" He asked as he also looked at the view before them. Cullen wanted to know more about the woman next to him, but he also didn't want to look too eager.

"My family is wonderful." She said a little vaguely. "I don't like my father much, but my mom is an amazing woman. She and my grandfather taught me all I know." The American said while looking down at her hands.

"Why do you not like your father?" The handsome man asked her while turning his head to look at her. He had caught her words when she talked about her dad and it made him curious as to why she would say such a thing. After he asked though, he noticed she wrapped her arms around herself before tightening them, indicating that she was cold or uncomfortable. Cullen slipped the red cape from his armor then draped it over Sirena to keep her warm.

"My dad was never really a father to me. He kept to himself a lot." For a moment she went back to Oregon in her thoughts, as she talked about her past while forgetting who she was talking to as well. "He never went to my school functions unless he was forced to." When she realized something was covering her, she looked down at her shoulders and saw a dark shade of red wrapped around her. Her head bowed to him in thanks. Cullen's eyes squinted a bit when she said the word school. Most women stopped getting education at an early age unless they were nobles, but even then they get private tutors. He had no idea what school she was talking about.