Chapter Thirty-Six

"How was the date?" The young woman heard Chiara ask as they walked through the halls of the keep. It was a beautiful day as it usually was which made her miss the rain from her state. Due to the new day, she wore a hanbok; a pink top with a floral collar and cuffs and a dark grey skirt.

"The date was very good. It was nice to have that time alone with him."

"What happened?" Linking her arm through her friend's, she lowered her voice so only the other blonde was able to hear. After all, she didn't want anyone to gossip about the possibilities that had happened between them. People loved to create scenarios whether if they were true or not.

"It was sweet really. He gave me his lucky coin that he had been carrying for many years. We then uh... Well, I think we may have given each other a sign or something."

"A sign? Sirena, signs are not going to make any sense. Not to him and not to you. There may be feelings, but signs will befuddle you both." Her friend ended up shaking her head at the ridiculousness of what the fake blonde had said. The girl knew she had a point, perhaps she really was thinking too much about it which was making her an idiot in a way. All of a sudden there was a small pitter patter running in her direction.

"You're Sirena. Mom said you were scary, but you don't look scary." With a small smile the young woman looked at the small child with amusement.

"Why did your mom say that?" She asked in a gentle voice as she kneeled down to be at the kid's height.

"Because people fear the next stage if it comes too soon." The answer perplexed the American due to the point she had no idea what to say. Her eyes glanced over at Chiara who looked just as confused as her. Though, what shocked her more when it shouldn't have, was seeing Morrigan show up.

"Kieran, are you bothering this woman?"

"Of course not!"

"It is time to return to your studies." It was so odd to see the angry mysterious one as a mother. She knew when it happened of course, but it was still surprising. Not to mention, her son listened so well! Her jaw dropped.

"I always disliked her." Chiara said quietly for her ears only. "Morrigan makes a good mom." The outlander nodded her head in agreement since she was in the same boat as her friend in that belief.

"My son, though, you ladies most likely knew that already. You need not worry about him. He's a quiet and well-spoken lad, but he goes where I go."

"You must be very proud of your child."

"But not the sort one would expect a woman like me to raise. No son of mine would be raised in a marsh, be left out of contact from the outside world. His future will be difficult without mine adding to his burden. To think recently this place stood decrepid. Occupied by the desperate and the lost. Now it is party to events that threaten to shake the world. I wonder if it is pleased."

"So, you know about Skyhold."

"This fortress was built on the remains of a site holy to ancient elves. They called it Tesirus Halilan; a place where the sky is kept. It is said from here they reached up to the heavens to bring them down to rest. They abandoned it as did the humans who came after them. Bones laid upon bones. Silent, until your arrival. Well... maybe not your arrival, but the inquisition's." Sirena appreciated the history lesson that she had received. She hadn't expected to get one of Skyhold which made her wonder if it was a test on how much she already knew about their lore.

"I'm quite fond of this place."

"The magic in this place has seeped into the stones. Protecting it from darkness." Didn't she practice dark magic herself? That may have been ignorant of her to think that way, but she knew her mother taught her the craft. "Those who let it fall to ruin did not know what they possessed. You, and the Inquisition, I think, shall do it justice. You were kind to welcome my aid knowing as much about me as you do. I will do my best to aid you and the cause with all the knowledge at my disposal. This, I swear to you." As the American observed the woman, she noticed her sincerity. Looking over at her friend again, she caught a nod.