Chapter Seven

Early the next morning, Evelyn buckled on her armor quietly to keep from waking up Sirena. As soon as she got all her armor on, she walked out of the cabin and shut the door behind her. Her steps crunched into the snow as she quickly made her way towards the big wooden doors that led to the training area. That was the agreed upon spot for everyone to meet up at.

When she got to the gate, a grin spread across her features as she looked at her companions who looked tired as hell. Varric looked like he was dragging on his feet, his eyes half closed.

"Who is ready to help some people in need?" Evelyn asked enthusiastically. Cassandra, who was pale and had short black hair, let out a sigh but also grinned a bit due to seeing the dwarf with the massive chest hair being miserable since he was tired and most likely cold as well. The seeker was quite used to waking up early for drills.

"We should get going; the sooner the better." She said with a thick Nevarrian accent. Varric grunted softly at what the warrior said. The tall bald lanky elf named Solas, remained silent.

The Herald led the way out of Haven even over and across the stone bridges and past the raised metal gate. Evelyn remembered the bridge and gate quite clearly. She was brought through there as a prisoner originally since the seeker and spymaster thought she was the one who blew up the Temple of Sacred Ashes. Sadly, she couldn't remember what happened there, every time she tried to remember, her head would start to hurt in a splitting headache. Shaking her head slightly to get rid of the images from her head, she continued to make her way out of Haven.

"We really do need horses. This is going to take at least three or four days on our feet." Varric complained while adjusting his crossbow, Bianca, on his back.

"It just means more camping time. It will be fun." Solas let out a little chuckle from Evelyn's response.

"It is always best to enjoy the times before and after battle." The elf said with serious wisdom like he knew more than he was letting on.

After more than a half the day passed, Evelyn and her companions had to set up camp since it was getting late and they had to rest somewhere. A fire was built to make food and keep them warm due to the cool chill in the air. They ate their food in silence as they were in thought, wondering what they were going to see in the Hinterlands when someone finally spoke up.

"I wonder what damage there is in the Hinterlands..." Evelyn asked before she took a bite of her ham sandwich.

"It could be anything or anyone at this point." Cassandra answered as she stoked the fire, already finished her food. The other two companions remained silent.

It took five days to get to the Hinterlands which looked very green. There was elfroot everywhere as well as trees and grass. It was a lot nicer than seeing a bunch of snow everywhere. One could even hear the birds sing. Varric was off by a day in his predictions of when they would make it into the Fereldon territory. By the time they made it to the Inquisition camp, it was midday. A woman dwarf with brown hair pulled up into a pony tail walked up to the Herald.

"Holy Andraste! I've heard of the stories, everyone has. We know what you did at the breach. It's an honor to meet you, my lady." The scout gave her a little bow. "Inquisition Scout Harding, at your service. I will... All of us here will do whatever we can to help." Harding introduced herself with respect and formality.

"Scout Harding, huh?" Varric said with amusement. "Ever been to Kirkwall's Hightown?" He asked with a smile on his face.

"I can't say I have. Why?"

"You'd be harding in a... No." he said with a little laugh. "Never mind." Cassandra glared at the male dwarf.

"Ugh!" She said with disgust while shaking her head. The seeker was getting sick of all the jokes he told. Nothing was ever really serious with him. Evelyn ignored the two as she looked at Scout Harding with a soft smile.