CHAPTER 7

Alice was even more elated to hear the news than Kelvin. She couldn't condone her joy when Kelvin told her that Monica has agreed to let him go. She was almost jumping out of joy as they walk towards an empty bench, they just finished rehearsal.

The thought of Kelvin not acting or going had dispirited her, she was already thinking how lonely it would be without Kelvin there. Right from freshman year Alice has always been picky with making friends so she didn't have much close friends, she is more of a loner. She would sometimes even wonder if she would be with Kelvin if not that she has secret feelings for him.

" I still can't believe this, oh my God!  She hadn't ceased exclaiming out of joy since Kelvin broke the news to her.

" I couldn't believe it too " they were already planning on involving Alice on it to come and plead with her. Monica likes Alice so they were sure that she would agree if Alice asked her but fortunately for them she yielded when they least expected.

The happy moment was interrupted by a ring from Alice's phone, she took the call and exclamated before looking at distance.

Just few meters away from them is a luxurious black car occupied by Alice mother.

Alice gasped, it was a surprise visit. Kelvin shrunk in his seat immediately.

"Kelvin my mom is here, would you like to say hi? Alice turned to Kelvin knowing full well that he won't go.

Kelvin smiled nervously " Maybe next time, greet her for me ok" he carried his bag and left. Kelvin was never one to be ashamed of his social status but meeting any higher person has always been an issue for him.

His inferiority complex always sets in anytime he has to meet any rich person especially if they were Alice's family, he would always avoid that at all cost.

Alice watched him with sour face, this has always been the case. Kelvin has never agreed to meet any of her family members for a reason she can't decify. She visits Kelvin's house on few occasions but he never agreed to even say hi to any of her family members, she sometimes feels cheated.

Getting inside the car her mood changed as she buried herself inside her mother's warm hug, it was a surprise visit but she was happy having her here.

" Mrs Dennison what's with this unannounced visit? Alice feigned annoyed and JACINTA smiled at her pouted mouth.

" who says I can't visit my baby unannounced? I was just bored and decided to stroll around the campus " she replied with same cheeky face expression as Alice.

Mrs JACINTA was a very simple woman despite their wealthy status, one would say that Alice took from her in both beauty and behavior. She loved being ordinary and it was not a surprise seeing her sometimes without a convoy, today she was with just a driver. She would always say that the price of being so rich is losing the right to be free and ordinary.

JACINTA didn't come from a political family though her family was wealthy too but she still finds the rich life boring. She grew up wishing she could be normal without having securities follow her all her life, this is one of the reasons she supported for Alice to study at a federal university instead of a private institution like her other siblings. She knew the suffocating feelings thus she understands Alice more than her husband.

" I thought I saw your boyfriend with you a while ago? He couldn't even think of greeting me, he sure is disrespectful"  she teased Alice knowing what her reply would be.

"Mom we are not dating"  Jacinta had anticipated that reply. She looked at Alice pitifully wondering what's taking the Kelvin of a boy to officially confess to her daughter. It's obvious that the two had something more than close friends.

" Baby I think it's high time you take a step, if this boy is not going to ask you to be his lover then do it yourself. There is a possibility that he is only intimated by your status, this is 21st century and women are now taking the bold steps too..."

"Mum are you being serious right now! Teaching your daughter how to chase a man hu?

Jacinta couldn't help laughing at her daughter's face, she was just teasing her because the innocent Alice she knew would never be the first to confess her feelings.

" Then stop looking like a person that has the whole world on her shoulders each time I talk about him. It's very visible how you are dieing for him so am just giving my baby the motivation she needs to get what she wants!

" Mum please let's go, I don't want to talk about this again"

Though Jacinta was just teasing Alice her face looks pitiable and this made Jacinta laugh out the more.

Alice had thought about it too, she even tried confessing many times but each time fear discourages her. She don't want to be seen as desperate, even though what others thinks about her doesn't matter to her but what Kelvin thinks about her matters much.

Once during their 2nd year end year dinner she had confessed. That night they all had much to drink, she was not that drunk so she remembered. Overwhelmed by the little alcohol she took she confronted Kelvin and confessed but fortunately for her Kelvin was too drunk that by the time she was done he had long drifted to sleep and snoring.

After the night Kelvin didn't say a word about it confirming that he was indeed too drunk to notice. Since then Alice hadn't gotten enough zeal to confess again.