CHAPTER 8

Just like time flies, the day of the trip arrived. Solemn Monica sat packing Kelvin's bags while he dress up, she regrets letting him go but she even doubts if she would have been able to stop him either.

Monica has never left Kelvin's side for more than a day throughout his 24 years of life that's why she is hesitant in letting him leave her for two weeks.

Even throughout his secondary and tertiary education Monica has always chosen schools close to their home so he wouldn't have to leave at the board or hostel. She would tell Kelvin it's so that they can save the hostel money but that wasn't it, she knew about his occasional nightmares even though Kelvin stopped talking about it since he turned ten.

She wouldn't other kids founding him weird or different, most importantly she didn't know when the time would come for things to get worse. She also noticed that the nightmares had become frequent for the past days and the scratch mark on his left shoulder was suspicious.

"Mum stop! Stop making that face am not going there to die" Kelvin on the other hand was delighted to be able to leave home for the first time ever. He understood Monica's worries as they had never stayed apart but he can't afford to miss the trip.

" Mum you know you don't need to pack all these for me, we organized everything in such a way that we would be feeding everyday" Kelvin wondered how he would be able to carry all bags Monica has been stuffing for him with all kinds of processed foods and snacks.

" I will help you carry them if you can't" Monica was not in a mood to talk much as she had many things filled in her mind.

Kelvin laughed at that.

They continued packing in silence for some minutes. He was done, checked his looks on the mirror and nodded with satisfaction.

"Mum how do I look" he asked proudly still facing the mirror.

Monica looked up and realized that he hadn't worn his cap, this is also one of her greatest worries.

"Kelvin your cap" she reminded him and immediately throw it to him.

Kelvin had worn cap for his entire life, Monica had made him wore two type of caps, Beanie and skullcap for as long as he can remember but up till date he don't know the reason why. Monica would rather not talk about it and each time he questioned it or forgot his cap it would look like Monica was a different person, she would be enraged and yeil at him so  he stopped talking about it and with time he grew to love it. It became his identity, one could easily locate Kelvin among a large crowd by his cap.

He took it from her and wore it with a smile, " I almost forgot"

"Kelvin remember that you should never remove your cap for any reason unless you are alone, if possible don't remove it at all"

" OK mum I know"  he checked all his bags and nodded.

" Thanks mum for helping pack. Also don't miss me too much, two weeks will soon pass and I will come back to you ok" he hugged her and gave her a peck

" It's fine, I won't be that lonely Hazel and Clovey is coming to spend next week with me"

Kelvin was surprised to hear the news, "Mum you didn't tell me about it earlier!

Monica laughed," Even if I had, would you have abandoned your trip?

Kelvin pouted, he wouldn't have canceled going on the trip but he wished they would come later when he had returned.

Hazel and Clovey were the only people apart from Monica that contributed to his life, they were Monica's younger sisters.

They live very far from them and would rarely visit, they usually visit once or twice a year.
Monica said that they were married in a very far place but Kelvin have never met their husbands nor their children but just their visit alone is enough to brighten his world for the couple of days they would stay. He loves them and how they takes care of him and discuss with him whenever they visits.

" Mum this is a very wrong timing" he lamented, he would have love to see them.

" Sorry huni, how unfortunate." Monica comforted him sarcastically as they exited the rooms with the bags.