Chapter 7: Stalemate

The late autumn Sun is barely peeking in through the windows of the infirmary, as I change the still unconscious professor's IV. I made sure to get up extra early, to come and tend to him, so the clock hardly reads 6:30. I take a damp washcloth from a small basin and carefully wipe his face, relishing my opportunity to gaze at his peaceful features. It is quite rare to see his features relaxed, plus, since I acknowledged my attraction to him, I wondered many times what his sleeping face would look like. I find him ten times more handsome like this, not that he isn't handsome with any expression. As my fingers slowly run over his eyebrow, I notice him grunting, eyes fluttering open sluggishly, and he gradually coming to his senses.

„Where am I?" he asks with a raspy voice, and I feel my insides tingling upon hearing this new version of him. This is how his voice must sound like in the morning. Oh, how I would love to experience his morning voice once, waking up next to him.

„Finally back with us? I'm glad to have you back, professor. I hope you take pain well, because I will begin to regrow your arm momentarily." I say with a softer smile as I sit next to his dazed form, caressing a lock of hair out of his face. „Although I hardly think you would even flinch at my treatment, considering having your arm ripped off made you scream only once." I try to joke with a chuckle. He doesn't appear impressed with my attempt. The potioneer tries to look at his bandaged nub, making a pained and annoyed face as he tries to move it a bit. After a few moments, he wakes up a bit more.

„What happened?" he asks sternly.

„I saved your life in the dark forest. If I hadn't snuck after you, you would have died at the spot." my voice turns a tad more sad, the image of Snape dying in front of me wrenching my heart from my chest.

„You came after me?" he inquires with slight surprise, eyes boring into mine.

„Yes. Thank Merlin I listened to my gut feeling instead of professor McGonagall, and ran after you when I saw you dueling with that death eater. I guess with this, we are even." I widen my smile, trying desperately, to lighten the bitter mood made by this wretched situation. I can see on his face that he's contemplating something, and he surely realized by now that I heard their conversation, if not entirely, but surely a big part of it. This is why he looks troubled at the moment. But after he finally decides what to say, he shifts his investigative gaze on me.

„What happened to him?" he refers to his late opponent.

„I killed him." I say simply, with a serious face, watching his rising and falling chest instead. I just now start to realize my act, that I killed a man, even if he was evil. Snape's eyes widen a bit, shock dancing on his features, for now he truly can't believe I was able to pull a stunt like that. And I start to feel the weight of my sin, however my mind steps in assertively, as if it wants to slap me back to my feet, my mouth continues:

„He wanted to kill you. In that moment, it was either him or you. And I'll be damned if I let anyone kill you right under my nose." I hiss out between my teeth with a tone that freezes the blood in the veins, finally looking straight in his onyx eyes, with a little more determination than I intended. His expression doesn't change for long seconds, and I hold his gaze earnestly. Snape shifts his head to look up towards the ceiling, closing his eyes, and letting out a long, heavy sigh.

„Thank you..." he whispers from behind long lashes, his barely audible voice caressing my ears and my heart like silk. I squeeze his hand as response, signaling him that I did it happily, to save his life.

Walking over to the cabinet, I take out a vial with strong painkiller potion, and bring it to him before I start the most difficult procedure of my life. I don't need Poppy's help here, there's no more dark magic involved, all I have, is simple biology and anatomy. Simple, but ruthlessly hard. Mending scars and deeper injuries or fractures is one thing, but effectively regrowing a limb is a pain in the ass, to say the least. Instead of connecting already existing tissues, make some out of thin air, kid. I sigh in frustration as I approach his bed.